1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that I will loathe most of the teams.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Despite my annoyance with the premise of this season, count me in.

3. Wenders

Okay, with Amy's entrance, here's the pool:

Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny
    WriteThinking - Bergen and Kurt
    TigerVols - Aly and Steve
    MTM - Harley and Jonathan
    Huggy - Jackie and Jeffrey
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura
    Iron_chet - Jeff and Lyda
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley
    Wenders - Cj and Lebya
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike

There was one pair not picked -- Matt and Ashley. So whoever goes out first, if they want to switch out for that pair, they can.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So, all of us in the contest (thanks again for coordinating, Wenders!) are essentially on a blind date...with 2 people who are also on a blind date.

I guess you see where I'm going with this...

WriteThinking likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yeah, this has the potential to tweak the show in a very negative way, which is a shame.

"The Amazing Race" has always been promoted as sort of a positive spin on a "Survivor"-type experience, and I think it is. It's one of the great things about the show. But with this twist -- intended as kind of a creative, different way to meet someone and start a relationship, I guess, a la "The Bachelor," etc. -- what if you don't like your date?

TAR would be an awful thing to experience with a partner you don't want.

6. Wenders

Sorry for the delay in the pool...basketball season has eaten my life.

Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny 21
    Huggy - Jackie and Jeff 10
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura 9
    TigerVols - Aly and Steve 8
    MTM - Harley and Jonathan 7
    WriteThinking - Bergen and Kurt 6
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike 5
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley 4
    Matt and Ashley 3
    Wenders - CJ and Libby 2
    *Iron_chet - Jeff and Lyda 1

Iron_chet, if you want to switch to Matt and Ashley, I'll do that for you.

My thoughts:
    Pretty sure Blair wanted to dump Hayley before they got to LAX. Let him get a word in edgewise, honey.
    What is WITH the selfie cams? Generally in the past, they haven't let them take anything of real value on the trip, for fear that they might barter it for help. Maybe if they've given everyone the same thing, it evens the playing field?
    Memo to Libby: If he hasn’t married you after 10 years, he ain’t NEVER gonna marry you. Especially with the look on his face every time you brought it up.
    Never say “We’re gonna get the Express Pass!” before you’ve actually checked in.
    Having the U-Turn this early isn’t as effective on leg 1. no one knows anyone. Plus, why burn it in the first leg when you might need it later in the Race?
    How much did CBS spend on NKOTB music for this season?

Was anyone else shocked that the first 3 teams that showed up were Blind Daters?

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I will grab Mattt and Ashley. I clicked on this thread and realized that I had not watched on my PVR, UGH.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not too surprised at the outcome. We'll see how the blind date couples will perform if they decide they don't like each other.

I imagine they are getting their own rooms at the pit stops while the established dating couples will share. which may allow more time for them to strategize.

I don't see CJ and Libby and the truck stoppers (don't remember their names) lasting long. My money is on the Olympians.

The teams seem pretty balanced. Is there anyone over 30 left?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. WriteThinking

I've been thinking about the new selfie-cam thing, and I, too, think it's seeming a little manufactured and too specifically added into the show.

But I'm wondering if it's a result, specifically, of this season being a dating-centered show -- if the pictures taken along the way aren't meant to track the new relationships, as if for a photo album for the future when/if any of these meetings actually pan out into something more. That's kind of how they feel.

10. Wenders

It was only a matter of time before Fitbit started sponsoring this show. I would be really intrigued about the prize tonight -- cooking classes for a year and a gym membership. Doesn't seem to be quite on par with a luxury vacation/$5,000/new car though. (I suppose it depends. If Jamie Oliver is giving the cooking classes...maybe....)

Jelani and Jenny are really bringing it. I think the only set of daters that have any sort of chemistry are Jeff and Jackie. I think Blair and Hayley are not long for the Race, going off of the preview. The thing you've seen so many times on the Race before now is when a team really fights hard to not be eliminated because they don't want to disappoint their partner. Well, when you've just met someone, you don't really care about whether THEY'RE disappointed. And you don't necessarily have to go home with them either and hear about it for the rest of eternity.

Pool update:
    Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny 41
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura 18
    Tiger Vols - Aly and Steve 16
    Huggy - Jackie and Jeff 15
    MTM - Harley and Jonathan 14
    WriteThinking - Bergen and Kurt 12
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike 8
    Iron_chet - Matt and Ashley 7
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley 6
    *Wenders - CJ and Libby 3
    *Jeff and Lyda 1

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Phil needs to stop pushing the romance. If it happens, it happens, but it's not The Bachelor, so stop talking about it so much.

12. WriteThinking

I agree with that completely. But, you knew it was going to happen, what with the blatant premise-manufacturing. TAR should just leave its successful formula alone and not try to tamper with it.

On another subject, does anyone know why so many people in Tokyo seem to wear facemasks? Pollution? Germophobia?

Draft saved Draft deleted