1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What were people's reaction to the ISIS sketch?

I wasn't offended, but I thought it was in bad taste.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When the 40th Anniversary show was on and they showed some of the old skits, one thing that I thought of was that the current shows don't do talk show skits any more. Last night's Net Effect was exactly what I was talking about, and some of the best laughs last night were from that one. When Taran Killim slaps the guests and Dakota Johnson yells "harder!" I almost lost it. Also, they used Sasheer Zamata a bit more, to good effect.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

WRT the ISIS skit, didn't see the payoff coming and popped for it. Thought it was funny and not in poor taste.

4. old_tony

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I thought the ISIS skit was funny ... good twist on "dropping off daughter for college" ads.

6. old_tony

Actually, there's currently an ad with a dad dropping his daughter off at the airport and she's going into the military.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Alabama Shakes ... FTW.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The weird thing about the ISIS sketch is that I can't remember the last time people complained about an SNL sketch being in bad taste - they haven't had that kind of edge in years. Also kind of surprised with the opener about Rudy - figured he was a sacred cow on the show.
    Also thought Dakota Johnson was really good, no obvious cue card reading or stumbles - something you see of people who have hosted the show multiple times.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, although if they were going to shit on Rudy, it probably would have helped if the material was sharper. I kind of cringed when the skit was going on - It felt like something Jay Leno would do. "Hey, what's in the headlines? Birdman and Rudy, throw them together!"

Dakota definitely seemed game though. I've had a crush on her since Ben and Kate though, so I'm biased.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Nothing at all wrong with the ISIS skit

Damn it, I've had a crush on her since her one scene in "The Social Network" so I saw her first!

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Stunning that a woman who is the daughter of two accomplished actors would be comfortable on stage ...

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agreed. Some of the "bad taste" sketches that they've done over the years are some of the funniest. It hasn't had that edge in quite some time. I can't remember the last time they did a sketch where I was thinking, "Wow, I can't believe they went there..." sometimes in a good way, sometimes not as much.

There are definitely ones they've done in the past that I don't see them getting past the censors today. I don't see any way Canteen Boy ever makes it today. I thought it was hilarious, but things are too PC these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted