1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Barry: Grown-ups used to have fun

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Having the choice and declining one option in favor of another is totally different than gleefully reminiscing about the days when the choice wasn't available because our knowledge base hadn't yet been sufficiently advanced.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I agree that generational superiority is ridiculous. Especially when all the other generations suck.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I reminisce daily about the days when the Internet and Twitter didn't exist and the general public was better-read and better-informed and more engaged in politics and government and community service and such.

The tl;dr version of Barry's column is "some stuff used to be better." It really isn't that controversial.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seriously ...

It's so much better now. We have all of this information, and all of these choices. We can get ahead of the curve. We can seize our future. Of course it costs us our present, but what the hell ... can't have everything!

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

To be fair, they wouldn't be so bad if only they'd do everything in life exactly the way I do.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Little bit easier to party it up when you have a job with fully-paid healthcare and a defined benefit pension.

cranberry likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the link, were any kids told to get off Dave Berry's lawn?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As an offshoot of my earlier note about Barry's obscured personal timeline, a question ... When he is talking about how our parents used to do it up right, who exactly is he talking about? Because, you know, he is 67 years old.

The "Mad Men" era that he recalls from his youth, when his parents put the kids to bed and then partied away, he was a teenager when that era began and a full-fledged adult for much of it.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wasn't his father an Episcopal priest?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, but after other jobs. I think Barry, who is just a little older than 65 year old me, was recalling his more early childhood in the late '50s. My parents gave big parties back then too. That's how I was taught the invaluable career skill of bartending. But at that point, Barry's parents and my parents were in their late 30s if that. I had big parties at that age. Difference is, I didn't get married until I was 33, and folks of my parents' generation got married earlier so their kids were older at the same point of age.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wish Barry's column had explored more of the "whys" of modern parenting.

I think today's parents are consumed with their children being successful. They're consumed with having an answer every time a kid says "I hate you!" And they're consumed with it, in part, because more than a few wished they'd told their parents that, but didn't, and want to prevent for their children the sense of absence -- emotional and otherwise -- their parents left in them.

But Barry's dead right. Young parents seem to have no fun. They seem to lack all kinds of trust. They feel obligated to pay out their ass for a horrible babysitter instead of knocking on a neighbor's door. They seem to be afraid, on a daily basis, that they'll be called, by someone, somewhere -- a bad parent.

And, yes -- there's less money to have fun, because fun costs more money than ever before.

I Should Coco and Dick Whitman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted