1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Office affairs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 2, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely them...

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I need a flow chart and a copy editor to keep that all straight.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Back when I was around 22, I briefly dated the editorial assistant, but after a couple weeks, she quickly became clingy. I sensed danger and shut it down before it could get out of hand in the office. She quit and moved to New Hampshire a few weeks after that. I never was really sure if she already had a job lined up or if it was because she was embarrassed about the "break up."

A reporter at one of my stops was hooking up with a married editorial assistant and he constantly gave two of us the details. He was 25 or 26 and she was in her early 40s, but apparently, she was quite a freak. They'd go to "lunch" together and do the kinds of things that would make Christian Grey blush. Don't think they ever got caught, though I haven't spoken with him in a few years.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

In the early '90s, there was a female news-side copy editor at my paper who was known for sleeping with most of the guys who worked nights. That included several of the guys on the sports desk (although not me).

Years later, I'm having lunch with a former co-worker who worked on the news desk back then and is still at the paper, and of course we talked about people we worked with back in the day. I mentioned the female copy editor (who got married, had a kid, left the paper, got divorced and now works in PR for a local nonprofit).

I told my friend, "I get the feeling I'm in the tiny minority who never slept with (female copy editor)."

His response: "Join the club -- I'm glad there's at least one other person I've got that in common with."

We laughed about that for the next 15 minutes or so.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've seen it multiple times and none, to my knowledge, ended badly.

I personally never have. I'm not against it but my wife would kill me, so...

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dear Penthouse Forum,
    I'd heard all the stories about workplace pairings, but I never dreamed it would happen to me. There I was, a lowly agate monkey at Podunk Press who once or twice a week they let out of the office to go cover a high school game. She was a copy editor, and she kept taking care of my dangling participles. I wouldn't say it was love, but we had a connection right away. She suggested we go checkout the newsprint warehouse. Suffice to say some of our subscribers are receiving papers with stains that show up under blacklights. Then one day her husband showed up as we were navigating the end rolls, and that was the end of our roll. I'm grateful for the experience. Glad her hubby didn't end my roll.
    Porkin' in Podunk

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've got a question on this subject: do you find that the married participants in these affairs, particularly the women, are fairly discreet and try to keep it from being well known?

The reason I ask is that we had a case where a woman was blabbing very detailed info to her female coworkers and making everyone uncomfortable, and that caused the rumors to spread like wildfire. Before long, everyone knew that she really, really liked it in the ass.

His marriage failed, and I told folks who asked me: this man did not get pussy whipped. He got kinky sex whipped in a big way.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Guess he should have asked her to peg him...would have saved the marriage.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We had an advertising sales rep who worked her way through the guys in her division, and she also was a champ at taking her clients out to happy hour and then back to her car for a wild ride in the backseat. I found this out one night when the security guards were screaming and cheering, zooming their parking lot camera in tight on her car as she bounced up and down, up and down, up and down and up and down and all around ...

Apparently the security team had been aware of her gymnastics for weeks, so they kept a close eye on those cameras after 5 p.m.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The woman in the story I mentioned was apparently pretty discreet. She had some rules so they wouldn't get caught. They never hooked up at her place, never exchanged text messages and my buddy said they had some code words for email that looked like regular office chatter but signaled a hookup. If anyone knew outside of him and my other friend, they didn't say anything. She was into, um, performing for the camera, though, so it's possible she wasn't as discreet as it appeared.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember the old days when newspapers would actively hire married couples to fill out a reporting team.
    I didn't believe it the most ethical practice in the world, but eh- it showed they gave a shit about people, and home life.
    One of those twin-hires didn't end so well. Management found out hubby was going out to his truck for a nip while on the clock.
    Sometimes too much together-time ain't that good.

Draft saved Draft deleted