1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

BTW, not only was Van Brocklin the Rams' greatest QB, he was the Eagles' greatest QB ever, too. Jurgensen's his only rival there.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What's cool is that Van Brocklin went to my boy's HS.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How many black numbers (THASS RAYCESS!!!) are on McNubb's pro football reference page?

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

How about the chunky soup hall of fame?

Riptide likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Or just the chunky hall of fame.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the Giants are going to win a lot of games next season, but he has to play well with those great receivers he now has.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's good.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been answered by some others, but it's really more than you think. By my count, almost a third of the league. Most of those, however, still have the best playing for them (Patriots, Saints, Ravens -- and two of those will be in a decade from now) or have never had a HOF-level quarterback (Falcons, Buccaneers, Panthers, Texans, Jaguars, Seahawks).
    The Raiders (Stabler), Giants (Simms, arguably) and Bengals (Anderson/Esiason) are about the only franchises who have been snubbed where their best could even get the time of day from the HOF committee.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sadly, the Bears best quarterback retired in 1950.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he would get in, just that he would get to be a finalist in pretty short order because he will be in a divide where all of the no-brainers are in after Favre goes next year and then the wait is on for Manning/Brady. There were four QBs to be in the 99 players on the original nominee list this year -- Cunningham, Gannon, Simms and Warner. I think McNabb is going to slide in above everyone but Warner on future ballots and is going to get the votes to at least be a semifinalist if he ends up as the top QB should Warner get enough support in the next couple of years.

For me, he is extremely borderline. The standard they have set for Hall of Fame QBs is a lot higher than other positions so I see why he doesn't make the cut. The problem for him ultimately will be that there are going to be non Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, like Rivers, Romo, Cutler, Stafford and Ryan that will have similar or better numbers from around his timeframe.

You know the voters are putting in Favre, P. Manning, Brady, Brees and Roethlisberger. Warner and Eli Manning are probably going to get in. Rodgers is on his way. That's eight right there and I don't know how much further down the list voters want to go at the position. Is Rivers the choice for a non-SB winning QB? Romo? Ryan?

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Billy Kilmer

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tittle, not Simms, is Giants greatest QB and he's in the Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted