1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

If Brock does leave after Wrestlemania, how much of an impact do you believe it will have on the WWE? Even though he's a part-timer, he's been one of the hottest things going since coming back.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vince rarely has cared about the women's division and her contract had been up anyways. At that time, he had brought in some Japanese wrestlers for her to work with for a short while, but had shown little inclination to actually have a division and hadn't been giving her much work.

She also was put in a bad position when Bischoff had hired her, when, on her first day, he told her to throw the belt in the can, or be fired. If she had refused, she wouldn't have had any place to work.

Judging from her overall career, she'd had an excellent run in the first half of her career with her AWA, Japanese, LPWA and Dangerous Alliance runs. Then she did OK in her first WWF stint, but after that, it was pretty much forgettable except for the garbage can incident.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

What, you don't remember that great Madusa feud with Oklahoma in WCW atound 2000?

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Oh, and here's sign Bryan and Ambrose are two of last year's overlooked stars: not a second on the Hulu version. But, it seemed like there was a lot of non-match segments on Hulu, more than usual. Rollins was in three segments plus a match.

And damn was Steph's promo on Cena a little close to the mark? Wow.

Of course, Paul E. fucking killed it.

And if Roman just got booked to do more bad ass things like the leap and keep his trap shut, I'd be fine with that.

5. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

Been watching a lot of 80s wrestling on the network as of late, and I compiled a list of top babyfaces/heels from '85-'89:

Faces

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. Andre the Giant
    3. The Junkyard Dog
    4. Tito Santana
    5. Paul Orndorff

Heels

1. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
    2. King Kong Bundy
    3. Big John Studd
    4. The Iron Sheik
    5. Greg Valentine

Faces

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. The Junkyard Dog
    3. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
    4. Andre the Giant
    5. Ricky Steamboat

Heels

1. Paul Orndorff
    2. King Kong Bundy
    3. Randy Savage
    4. Big John Studd
    5. Adrian Adonis

Faces

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. Ricky Steamboat
    3. Randy Savage
    4. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper
    5. Jake Roberts

Heels

1. Andre the Giant
    2. The Honky Tonk Man
    3. Harley Race
    4. Butch Reed
    5. One Man Gang

Faces

1. Randy Savage
    2. Hulk Hogan
    3. The Ultimate Warrior
    4. Jake Roberts
    5. Brutus Beefcake

Heels

1. Ted Dibiase
    2. The Honky Tonk Man
    3. Andre the Giant
    4. Rick Rude
    5. The Big Bossman/Akeem

Faces

1. Hulk Hogan
    2. The Ultimate Warrior
    3. Brutus Beefcake
    4. Dusty Rhodes
    5. Jim Duggan

Heels

1. Randy Savage
    2. Ted Dibiase
    3. Rick Rude
    4. Mr. Perfect
    5. Andre the Giant

--

Thoughts? Anyone I miss out (I'm sure I did)

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

What's it say about the babyfaces of WWE when Jon Stewart cuts the best face promo in months:

7. Baron Scicluna

I've heard about it, and I think I watched one or two segments that were plain awful, which confirmed to me how much WCW sucked, and I switched back to Raw.

8. Baron Scicluna

Not bad, for a WWF list. I would think someone who named himself after one of the best of all time would have a list that would include some from the organization that he represented, as well as other territories.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I was listening to the Austin-HHH podcast and they only briefly touched on this subject but I'd love to get the board's take.
    Which faction had the more lasting impact on professional wrestling? The NWO or DX?
    HHH picked DX (Not surprisingly) because of its longevity but I disagree. I think the NWO ushered in a whole new era in pro wrestling and handily started the Monday Night Wars. Since the Attitude Era is largely regarded as the best era of wrestling, and at the very least was when the sport was its most popular, I'd have a hard time giving credit to DX there when without the NWO there likely wouldn't be a DX or at least the group wouldn't have made such a mark.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with your take on it. DX might have lasted longer because they had the two best individual wrestlers - HBK and Triple H - but DX doesn't exist without the NWO basically forcing WCW into the top spot in the ratings.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Has to be the nWo. I even still type their name in like their t-shirt. I was 14 at the height of the wars, never watched a second of WCW growing up and tuned in a few months before Montreal to see the nWo. I never liked the original DX with Shawn HHH and Chyna. I was watching WWF for Stone Cold. He was the main draw, not DX, while nWo was the biggest draw for their side.

12. Baron Scicluna

DX started as a disjointed faction because Trips had been a midcarder for the first 2+ years, it seemed weird that HBK would be hanging out with him, and there had been some thoughts about how effective it would be without HBK.

What shouldn't be underestimated was the return of Waltman to WWF. He was the first guy that the WWF signed after WCW had been signing all of the WWF's stars, big and small. It showed that WWF could still compete with WCW after months of being the second banana. And while their antics were pretty reflective of the Attitude Era back then, they still weren't the top draws of it (Austin, Rock, Foley, Undertaker). And when Trips and HBK reunited, it was fine from a nostalgia and storyline standpoint, but it wasn't really that big a deal.

NWO, meanwhile, nearly puts Vince out of business, went mainstream, and was the first among the Big Two to really blur the line between what was real and what wasn't, when Hall and Nash defected.

Draft saved Draft deleted