1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Last Man on Earth was very good, especially some of the blink and you missed it stuff. Thought it was cool that Forte had his mom play his mom in the flashback.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In the same scene, there is a running generator. I'm assuming they might get to some of the logistical stuff - where are the bodies - in future episodes.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I know it's kind of the point, but I was pretty disappointed to see that Kristin Schaal playing the last woman on earth.

It wouldn't be as funny if she was super hot.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You have to have DirecTV to get the Audience Channel, but anyone else out there catch the premiere of Billy and Billie?

Interesting debut. I do find Lisa Joyce rather easy on the eyes.

5. old_tony

My goodness was she annoying. I still can't figure out if I want to keep watching. I certainly didn't laugh during the hour.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  6. RecoveringJournalist

I laughed. But it definitely got less funny as soon as Schaal arrived.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Fresh off the boat is quickly becoming one of my favorite network shows.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. old_tony

I wonder if women's groups might be unhappy with the depiction of the last woman on earth as a complete nag. When she made him stop at a stop sign, I almost wished he'd kick her out of the truck.

9. old_tony

By the way, I missed Last Man on Earth last weekend but it was repeated on Fox Sports 1 last night, allowing me to record it. Kind of curious to me that it would run on that network. Might be an indication that Fox Sports 1 is not doing well. The only time I ever tune into it is when it has a college basketball game I want to see.

10. sgreenwell

Most of the ratings reports have been dismal, which isn't unusual for a new network like that. Given the near stranglehold that ESPN has on college sports rights, which helps to fill up a bunch of programming hours, FOX has to be willing to continue shelling out obscene amounts of money for broadcast rights, like they did with the (new) Big East.

11. sgreenwell

I think she was initially portrayed as The Worst Ever, but as the episode continues it helped flesh out her personality, like when she got into the argument with him about whether it's OK to burn down a church. I imagine the long-term goal is that they both sort of meet in the middle.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Hm. I might have to give this show a chance. It's weird, but I just haven't been able to get past the show's title. It strikes me as kind of ethnocentric and even a little racist-sounding, and I haven't watched it, even though I know it's supposed to be a comedy. It's not like I'm just refusing to watch it, or anything -- I don't think I feel that strongly about it -- but that title somehow took away some of the appeal for me, and I've felt that way since the promos started for its season-opening episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted