1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Trivia Tuesday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Feb 3, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

OK. Who was the first ever pick in the XFL draft?

It's a funny story regardless of whether you recognize him or not.

2. Ugh ... I was thinking of Jim Mora.
    Who is also not in the HOF.

Carry on.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was working at my college radio station in SoCal when Marino came to an LA Express event on his way to the Hula Bowl. I interviewed him, but messed up the tape recorder and was too embarrassed to do it again.

On the plus side, Express cheerleader tryouts were underway and the prettiest girl from my high school was trying out and she approached me to say hi.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Rizzuto is number 10. Hooolllyy Cowwwwww!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think we cleared that up on Page 1 of the thread.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just closing the loop on my XFL question: The first-ever draft pick was Scott Milanovich, a quarterback from Maryland who was immediately relegated to being the backup to Tommy Maddox, who would go on to be the only XFL MVP.

8. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

Here are the answers:

#1 is Jeff Conine, who led the 1994 Marlins with 2.8 WAR and 2001 Orioles with 2.9 WAR. The lowest team-leading WAR in each franchise's history.

#2 is Kevin Brown (9.1 WAR in 1998) and Ollie Brown (2.6 in 1969) of the San Diego Padres.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I looked up the 2nd one but didn't want to "cheat" and answer here. Great question.

Draft saved Draft deleted