1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know college conferences are a'changing, but somehow I missed Houston moving to the European League.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The golf results on Sunday - the third round, as it ended Monday - were messed up in a way I had never seen from AP. The sequence of scores, from lowest to highest, had not been thoroughly sorted. Took a few minutes for me to get all the 210s and 211s and such grouped together.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

AP said today it would be using bots to write NCAA hoops, other sports. I wonder, how does a bot ask questions at a post-game presser?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tell me about ...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It'll start with "Talk about ... "

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Original Poynter story was wrong. AP is trying it for NCAA baseball. Basketball will still be humans.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that it was only for sports they weren't previously staffing, like college baseball.

I still don't care for the idea of it though.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd be mad, but robot or human it's still more than they've done for regular season college baseball in at least the past decade.

9. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

I don't know - they moved a final edition women's college basketball tournament gamer today that didn't have a final score in it. The robots could probably do better than the humans in some cases.

10. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I assumed they were already using bots. Might as well be. Those mid- to low-major college basketball gamers are completely devoid of any context. Just "Some guy scored 25 points as Some team beat Another team 76-65."

The winning team could be full of one-legged terminally ill dwarves and the AP gamer wouldn't say a thing.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Most of those are written off box scores...so unless the last names were Sleepy, Dopey, Horny, Hariy, Regis and Doc...they wouldn't know. :)

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Only time AP staffs a basketball game at the local D-1 school is when a Top 25 team visits (Top 10 for women's BB) -- so, about one per season. Everything else is done by the desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted