1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 6, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

No. But if they're looking for a veteran who might be willing to work with Manuel or some other young QB who they bring in, Cassel is better suited, or more willing to do that than Orton.

I think, at least late in his career, Orton didn't exactly have a reputation as being that easy to deal with.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why in the hell would they be mentoring Manuel if just last year they benched him for Orton?

Manuel is playing out the string of his rookie contract. I think it's an open competition leaning heavily toward Cassel.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Remind me why the Bills drafted Manuel -- who ran a remedial, shotgun, read-option offense at Florida State -- in the first round?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The 2014 version of McCoy was a good bit better than the 2013 version of Johnson. Also a little younger. McCoy's average per carry was down, but McCoy was still third in the NFL in rushing with 1,319 yards, the second-highest total of his career. He averaged 4.2 yards per carry, which is still very good. Also, wasn't the Eagles' offensive line decimated by injuries for a big chunk of the season?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was awful this past season. He is constantly out of position, he can't cover and he misses far too many tackles. The burst that made Polamalu so special is gone and he has not figured out how to play without it.

This wasn't a sudden drop-off in play, either. He wasn't much better in 2013. The decline has been steady and I see no reason to think he will be able to regain even solid starter's level of play.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sadly, I agree. But the way he played, this was bound to happen and happen fast when it did.

7. RecoveringJournalist

It's a different coach, different way of thinking... Nobody has any idea what they're doing at QB. It depends how invested the GM is in Manuel.

8. RecoveringJournalist

It depends on the situation. A team like the Colts is better suited having someone like Hasselbeck on the bench to mentor Luck and provide insurance if something happens. If I'm the Niners or Redskins or Bears, I would definitely want a veteran backup on the roster.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe Cassel helps, but I don't see McCoy being very effective with that offensive line. Not sure what draft picks they gave up, but I hope it isn't where they might've found a lineman or two.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Luck doesn't need mentoring.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

12. Look like Vince Wilforks career as a Patriot is at an end.

Didn't the dump him last year and then re-sign him later? Barring a injuries, I doubt that happens again.

Draft saved Draft deleted