1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Office affairs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

In fact, I've seen a lot that ended in marriage (though I know of one that ended with the guy was about to marry a co-worker while sending dick pics to another co-worker. That ended badly)

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It gets really interesting when an office relationship ends.

I was interviewing for other jobs and my girlfriend at the time said, "Do you plan on me coming with you?" and while the answer was no, I just said, "Let's deal with that if something happens..."

Needless to say, she did not like that answer. She was a couple years older than me and was envisioning something that was never going to happen.

She starts seeing the manager of a local bar on the side and makes sure I found out about it. I dump her immediately, which for some strange reason, surprised her.

The first few weeks afterwards, I was on the road covering the NCAAs. I actually scheduled my travel so I wouldn't come back in between. I was pissed. There was never any chance that that relationship was going to get really serious, but we'd been dating a year, and when you get cheated on, you get pissed... I was also only 25 at the time so, I probably didn't handle it in the most mature manner.

When I got back, every woman in the office wouldn't speak to me.

I'm like, "WTF is going on here?" I asked our secretary what was going on and she said, "They're all mad that you dumped her..." I was so dumbfounded I actually laughed. I told our secretary what happened and magically the whole office knew within probably 20 minutes.

One of the copy editors who used to try to get her pissed at me, actually came over to me and said, "You were better off just letting people think you just dumped her..."

What was funny, was the bar manager was apparently an attempt on her part to get my attention. She kept calling me for awhile. I ignored her. She married the bar manager about a year later.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My previous longtime employer had a nepotism policy when I started there, then reversed course and starting hiring husband/wife teams -- mainly to keep talented people from taking jobs with the nearby competing papers.

Unfortunately, the paper's most talented husband/wife team broke up when the wife began an affair with the publisher.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why would YOU be pissed? You basically told her to fuck off.

5. RecoveringJournalist

It wasn't quite like that. I was stringing her along. She had a right to be pissed, and she tried to do something to get my attention, and it worked, but not the way she hoped. She was playing games, taking a friend of mine (female co-worker) to the bar where this guy worked because she knew my friend would tell me she was all over this guy.

I pissed her off. She pissed me off... I'm human. I have an ego. Even if I wasn't planning on bringing her with me when I moved (which was still a few months down the road) I wasn't going to be happy to find out she was seeing someone else without us having broken up. The whole thing was immature. I was young. I should have ended it long before I did and if I had things would have been better, but at the time I was intent of putting that off as long as possible.

Songbird likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I guess all's fair in love and war when you're stringing someone along.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Well, she married the guy... Worked out fine for everybody involved...

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

At my first job right out of college, the "veteran" news editor was with a late 20s reporter. I had a conflict with a guy in the backshop. His boss told the news editor, who approached me. He was a very soft-spoken guy and he said, "Meet me at the Keg (our local bar) at 3:30." I showed up, he had a pitcher of beer and two glasses waiting. He calmly said that conflicts happen, but it should be up to us to avoid them. After a couple of beers, I asked him how it works with his girlfriend. He said that, right from the start, he told her that if they were going to be together, if there was ANY conflict whatsoever between her and another reporter, that he would automatically take the side of the other reporter. There could be no conflict of interest questions, period. It didn't seem fair to her, but that's the way it had to be. He was a great guy and she was a great girls. I think they were together until he died.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think the "un-serious" relationship is one of the things the current generation gets.
    We're in our 20s, we're just going to have some fun, there's no need to spoil it and take it where it might not be intended to go.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I could've avoided five years of ridiculousness had I only known this when I was 27. :(

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm going to try the "Friends With Benefits" when I wind up in a retirement home.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

There was a very cute girl on the sports staff at a mid-sized daily I worked at awhile back. We worked pretty closely (she would help cover some games on my beat), so I thought it was a bad idea to pursue anything. After covering high school football on Friday nights, most of the staff would walk to the nearest bar and have a few beers. That gave us ample fuel and time for flirtation, which resulted in what I thought was a fun, strings free hook up situation.

Turns out she wanted more. When I made it clear I didn't, that created a fairly tense work environment. I basically emailed her what game I needed her to cover and that was all the communication we had.

Draft saved Draft deleted