1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Me-first journalism: Jameis Winston style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Feb 27, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That line gave Caleb Hannan chills.

JackReacher likes this.
  2. iowanole

iowanole New Member

The reason FSU fans were upset with Matt Baker over other journalists was because of his one sided story. I understand his job was to get clicks, and the only way to do that was to make it as scandalous as possible, which meant ignore the facts. Let's call a spade a spade. Matt was and still is the mouthpiece for Patricia Carrol, and the reason that he is the first to get information, as one sided and incorrect as it is. He acts as if he is the victim, but yet he is ruining the reputation of someone without any repercussions, and we are supposed to feel sorry for him? Please! All Matt Baker had to do was report responsibly, report the facts. He is getting exactly what he wanted, but can't stand the blow back of his irresponsibility.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think that radio douche who tried to write a "Just the facts" piece that all the FSU nutlickers loved is checking in here.

Go back to the fanbois.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gotta support the team

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

College football is dumber than soccer.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this person might not be a sports journalist.

BrendaStarr likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I appreciate knowing that it was a first-person piece designed for a weekend magazine section's space for first-person pieces. This board is one of the few places where that distinction would be understood. I'm sure on the FSU fanboi boards this is being carved up like beefsteak night at the American Legion, with a lot of people thinking this is beat reporting.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

MMMM, it's every comment on any of these stories. I don't mind the story just because exposing more of FSUTwitter seems fine to me.

But please sir, tell us your thoughts on ethics in gaming journalism.

Double Down likes this.
  9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Ignoring Iowanole, who has no idea what he or she is talking about.

I saw the magazine; I get the paper. The problem was not the content — readers absolutely should be made aware of the rabid fans who act maliciously in the name of their favorite sports teams — but rather with the delivery. It didn't need 34 first-person pronouns (I, me, my, our) to drive the message home.

The headline might have been the weakest link of all. It set a whiny tone — the nebulous "pain" of a relatively cushy job (at least to the average reader), at a time when so many struggle to find work — and a self-indulgent tone — "... and me" — and the writing lived down to both promises.

Clearly, the editors had hoped the audience would identify with the writer. The upshot is that the piece potentially made them care about him even less.

It should have been written differently ... or by a third party ... or not at all.

10. RickReilly'sDentist

RickReilly'sDentist New Member

1) How dare you pillory this guy after doing a story about getting death threats?
    2) Y'all just hating.
    To be fair, the major flaw in the story is that it amounts to nothing. The "Woah is me, but I guess that's what I signed up for" route is lame. Do me a favor and tell me what these horror stories mean on a grander scale. Right now, it's just some kind of personal rude awakening to the reality of Seminole zealots.
    Death threats and the like are interesting, but if you're just telling me they're happening, the column turns into movie with a bunch of action sequences and no plot.
    But seriously, y'all hating. This dude works for a big paper and CAN get self-indulgent. That's a luxury most people are jealous of which = hate.
    Let me or some of my Podunk peers do this and the complaints aren't the same. I would get slack because I'm young and cashing in on opportunities for self-indulgence is a mistake you make coming up to inflate you're unvalidated ego. He's maybe five years older than me, tops, but the perspective won't be the same.
    The rationale for criticizing him is the same as the high profile athletes he's lucky enough to cover.
    He's successful, he has a job, he can handle a little criticism.
    When you're circulation size is +200,000, I guess the vitriol from fans is only matched by the impatience envious peers have for your own personal insight.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The fundamental flaw in your post is that the people discussing this are envious of the Florida State beat at the Tampa newspaper.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I thought he was being sarcastic at first, then ...

No one criticizing this guy is doing so just because he or she is jealous, Slick. I'm sure some on this board have held similar, if not higher, positions than FSU beat writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted