1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As the SNL "Alex Trebek" would say: "The show has reached a new low..."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just submit an Orange Alert. All will be fine.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So the proposed stadium doesn't have enough duct tape to suit Ridge?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anaheim will, in a deal to develop the parking lots.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Angels would have an Empire State Building obstacle to climb over to move into the Farmer's Field site: The Dodgers.

Just like the Giants have been blocking the A's from moving to San Jose.

No way you'll have the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium and the Angels at the Farmers Field site. That's not happening.

The Angels certainly need a new stadium. It will either be at the current location or they'll move within OC (they have talked with Tustin, for instance), though they are in an almost perfect location in terms of freeway access and able to get a huge fan base out of the Inland Empire.

6. poindexter

My understanding is that the Angels DO NOT have a legal barrier to move back to LA proper (i.e. the situation with the Bay area teams). However, it doesn't mean that Dodgers and politicians would make it easy.

Arte's just been kicking tires with municipalities that aren't Anaheim. Nobody is offering shit - at least that we've seen.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe you So-Cal folks can inform me: What's so bad about the Angels' stadium? Wasn't it renovated recently?

Went there for a game last spring, sat in the lower level in right field and thought it was a great place to watch baseball. Other than fighting the traffic to get there ... :D

8. poindexter

The word is that the infrastructure is falling apart.

Also, Arte and others want to develop the humdrum area around the stadium.

Of course the traffic can be terrible, but the Orangewood exit off the 5 is always incredibly speedy. Even on sold out days.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The infrastructure is 50 years old. It's coming apart, just like the Coliseum in Oakland and the Murph in San Diego. It was renovated -- namely, reverted to a baseball stadium after the Rams left, though high school championship football is played there -- 20 years ago.

For SoCal, really, it's in a very good spot. Near four major freeways that feed into the area. The traffic can be a pain, but that's the O.C. Traffic sucks everywhere out there. And compared to Dodger Stadium, it's a breeze. Plus there's a Metrolink station at the stadium for drop-off, though it's not convenient if you're coming from the I.E.

Arte wants to develop the massive parking lot. Anaheim, rightly, is balking.

And if the Angels wanted to move into the Farmers Field location, you can bet the Dodgers will fight that tooth and nail. And it would be idiotic for the Angels to do so. They have a huge following situated between the Dodgers and the Padres.

Arte is delusional is he thinks he can tap more into the L.A. market vs. what he will give up in the O.C.

poindexter likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Appreciate the insight. OK, so the renovations weren't that recent ... when you're someone who grew up going to "old" Comiskey Park, the Big A looks like Tomorrowland at nearby Disneyland in comparison. ;)

Yeah, the parking lot is HUGE ... if they need a new facility, couldn't they build right next to the existing stadium? (again, like Comiskey Park)

And MileHigh, I did definitely catch the "O.C. versus Los Angeles County" vibe during my visit, both regarding baseball-team allegiance and other things.

11. TigerVols

12. TigerVols

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted