1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you use your personal email to conduct work business?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There you go. That's the one.

It does seem like we went over the whole deal about public vs. private back then, and that Hillary's explanation doesn't hold up if that is accepted as precedent.

Maybe there's a chance for super sexy Elizabeth Warren after all!

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Our old work e-mail, lotus notes, was so awful and didn't allow for remote access without some complicated steps, made me use a personal e-mail address for work related things.

Then we switched to corporate gmail and I don't use my personal e-mail as much.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's mind-boggling to me that anyone thinks this will be a significant campaign issue. It won't, and only partly because voters don't really give a shit.

Chiefly, it won't be an issue because virtually every government official does this. The local paper did a piece last year on which state officials use personal email instead of their official work email. The answer: all of them, including the governor, state treasurer, attorney general and superintendent of schools.

So, who's going to make it an issue in the campaign? You think Chris Christie wants to make an issue of private email, when the whole bridge thing was set up over private email accounts?

This is not a defense of Hillary, but if she's going to be attacked by another candidate, that candidate better have a sterling record on public email use. Good luck finding that candidate.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is pretty close to where I am as regards the likely heart of the matter. It's sort of like the old bromide about some baseball player of little defensive ability who ran with the idea that you can't be charged with an error if you don't touch the ball.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This federal litigator disagrees:
    Hillary Clinton's emails: What you need to know - CNN.com

"Jason R. Baron, a lawyer at Drinker Biddle & Reath and the former director of litigation at the National Archives and Records Administration, said in an interview on Tuesday that is doesn't appear Clinton `violated' the law because `the Federal Records Act is amorphous enough.'

"But Baron also said the sole use of private emails was extraordinary.

"`I was in the government for 34 years and, in my experience as director of litigation, I cannot recall an instance where a high level official -- or anyone -- solely used a private email account for the transaction of government business,' said Baron said."

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It won't be a full-blown scandal until someone starts calling it Emailgate.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's highly unusual that she didn't have a work email address. It's not highly unusual that she conducted her business on a personal email account.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Tea Leoni's character has a government email address, I hope she used it to send naked pictures of herself.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, that's a crock. You're right that it's not unusual to conduct business on a personal email account. It is highly unusual, however, to: 1) create a personal email account; 2) mere days before assuming a new position, at which; 3) you choose NOT to initiate a work account, so that: 4) ALL of your subsequent work correspondence is routed through that personal email account.

This wasn't accidental. This wasn't an oversight. She and her underlings meant to do this. Why they did so we can only speculate (for now). But let's not pretend the facts (re: the existence/use of the personal email account) have an innocent explanation.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Her email address, which she apparently used for all her email, was @clintonemail.com. This clearly is not a government email address. Somebody (or bodies) must have noticed her use of a private email address for government business long before now.

Jeff likes this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

USA Today story notes that she used a private e-mail server installed in her home and had her own private internet domain.

Really?

I'm not bothered by all of this, but I've never heard of anyone with a private e-mail server. That seems crazy to me but maybe I don't understand the technical aspects of it.

Also IT related, wouldn't a private e-mail server be insanely secure?

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Insanely INSECURE.

Draft saved Draft deleted