1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiplatform designer, The Sacramento Bee/CMMD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Hunt, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Daniel Hunt

Daniel Hunt New Member

The California McClatchy Multiplatform Desk, which is housed at The Sacramento Bee, is looking to immediately hire a strong visual journalist as the design and editing center prepares for the rollout of what will be a high-intensity redesign for Sacramento and our other Central California outlets — The Fresno Bee, The Modesto Bee and the Merced Sun-Star.

This multiplatform designer will be counted on each day to execute layered presentations using CCI NewsGate 3, Escenic and Adobe Creative Suite for print and online. He or she must be comfortable collaborating with any corner of the newsroom, as well as working independently to present stories, graphics, data and photography in creative, compelling and interactive ways.

The designer should be comfortable working in picas or pixels: Coding abilities in HTML, CSS and more advanced disciplines of Web presentation are part of the expectations. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent skills and knowledge are required, with course concentration in journalism, graphic design, English, history or political science preferred.

Above all, the successful hire is driven by the opportunities to learn, master and share skills essential with a talented group of journalists within the California McClatchy Multiplatform Desk, its partner newsrooms and McClatchy as a whole.

The Sacramento Bee, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to promoting diversity within our drug- and alcohol-free workplace.

To apply for this position, please send a resume, along with a cover letter and salary requirements, to resumes@sacbee.com with ATTN: CMMD in the subject field.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Sounds intriguing...is California McClatchy part of the overall McClatchy chain? And what is its reputation in terms of work conditions/layoffs/furloughs?

Few years back, I was invited to interview with the Fresno Bee. It may not mean a damn thing about this job (but the Fresno Bee is mentioned in the lead) but the person who reached out said the minimum salary per the contract was $850 a week - which doesn't go as far in northern California as it does is other regions but still isn't horrible.

3. Daniel Hunt

Daniel Hunt New Member

Perhaps I'm a little bias as a manager, but the California McClatchy Multiplatform Desk (aka hub, aka CMMD) handles three papers now, is taking on Fresno and is a really great arm of a pretty sweet company (full disclosure: I've worked for papers in Tribune Co., NYTRNG, Gannett and [the old] Freedom). Pay is based on experience but this is a Guild position, so there are minimums that aren't hard to find via their site. I'm from Bakersfield, so, yeah, the cost of living is a little more but the city is pretty damn cool (full disclosure: I've lived in L.A., O.C., S.F. and Philly) and one of the most affordable in the state. When folks from Modesto and Merced moved up here, they are very happy being here.

On a more important note, this is my second of three job openings this year (one is filled and one's to come, I expect), and it's only March. We have a huge redesign coming very soon and we're staffing to meet the anticipated demand. 'Nuff said?

You're welcome to contact me directly if you're interested.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sacramento is one of the flagships of McClatchy. Sounds more like a design center, no, working on Modesto, Fresno and Merced? Relatively affordable, just a couple of hours from the Bay area, looks like the Kings are staying put, and the RiverCats just became the top farm club of the Giants.

And, of course, just 15 minutes away from Lake Tahoe.

Draft saved Draft deleted