1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Forgot about that weakness.
    I don't think the Force, as we're forced (no pun intended) to accept it from the prequels, is magic. It's more like a mutant power.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

New Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer, complete with a peek at the Vision and a few more plot details, but nothing that hasn't already been floating around there as a rumor.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

ANT-MAN trailer:

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I don't have to accept shit about midichlorians.

JRoyal likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

CBS's new version of Supergirl:

[​IMG]

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like Renee Zellweger trying to prove her geek creed by dressing up in a Supergirl outfit.

7. Starman

Well, the "pre-transformation" Renee Zellwegger, anyway.

I think it's OK -- nothing logical says Supergirl should be massively ripped.

(For that matter, nothing logical says Superman should look ripped either, except he's always been depicted that way.)

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I like that better than the Man of Steel cosrume.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Has he? Always thought he was depicted as a big-framed guy, but fairly normal-looking.
    Considering he's always using his muscles, though, he shouldn't have much fat on him.

10. Starman

Depends what artists from what eras draw your "definitive" version. Curt Swan, DC's main Superman artist fron the 60s-80s, drew him as well-muscled but not bulky (Reeve was cast mainly on his resemblance to the Swan Supes). But other guys (Wayne Boring, the mainstay in the 40s-50s, and Alex Ross in the 90s/00s, drew Superman as monstrous -- instead of the 6-4, 225 Chris Reeve, the Alex Ross depiction of Supes could not have scaled under 275 pounds in the flesh.

[​IMG]

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I didn't read Superman enough to differentiate between individual artists. I guess my definitive version would be from the early to mid 90s. IIRC, he was usually depicted in that period as being ripped and muscular (as most superheroes were at the time and should be, considering their "job" is as physical as a pro athlete) but not outlandish like some of the Rob Liefeld creations creeping around other parts of the comics world.

12. Starman

The flip side to that is that if you've had superpowers since infancy, as Superman is supposed to, you've hardly ever exerted physical effort which, for you, would be any more strenuous than lifting a paper clip off a table, so you might actually be expected to be in relatively poor physical shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted