1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6 Americans to watch in MLS 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Feb 18, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, the main purpose of camps and academies is to get a little more money for the players who aren't paid much more than average workers in their cities.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@Tony. I have no doubt on that but knowing some people involved there is also a desire to foster a soccer culture and truly develop players.

In my reasonably well to do neighborhood you see quite a few signs for an AC Milan camp. This is nothing more that AC Milan licensing the name to whoever will pay , not an attempt to do grass roots development. On the other side the Technical Director of the academy where my daughter goes loves the game and is an amazing, engaging coach. He has turned his passion into a profession.

I doubt I will ever be a real passionate soccer fan in any games that do not involve my kids (and even then it may be a stretch) but I do not wish ill on those who are passionate about developing the game.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am convinced that betting on soccer creates a hell of a lot more interest in it. If Vegas could stir up a fraction of action on games, that would help. Works well in the UK, and I guess around the world.

For example, if you have skin riding on a possible tie outcome, the game is a lot more intense and holds your interest despite possible low scoring.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Betting on games is much easier in the UK, where there's a Ladbrokes on practically every corner. I imagine you can find some action in the Vegas books, but it might be harder with your guy down the back alley.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Playing the game at a competitive level is what creates the culture, young dudes are experiencing that now.

The qb of my hs used to tell me that he played soccer when he was a kid but soccer wasnt "cool" back then, Brad had letters from Clemson and Georgia his junior year, a hs football star that used to come to my games and celebrate my soccer goals...

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I forgot where I read it, but I saw the argument that soccer is always forecast as the sport of the future, but it's like saying that apple juice is the drink of the future. Kids play like soccer because they develop coordination with their feet before their hands.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Kids play soccer because their parents think it's safer than football and costs less than baseball.

8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I played soccer bc everybody played soccer where I grew up, if I were born in the states I would have been a heck of a running back... kids play what everybody think its "cool"

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think this has been true for longer than the risks associated with FB have been well known.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the back yard, yes. If you mean organized leagues, mom and dad have to sign them up, and if they're afraid little Ruben is more likely to get hurt playing football than soccer, they'll sign him up for soccer when he's five, and the course is set.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You also have to consider the socioeconomic aspect of it. Sports like football, lacrosse or even hockey might be "cool," but they can be expensive to play and that may be a barrier to some families. Soccer, on the other hand, only requires a single ball for 22 kids and some shin guards. This also contributes to why it is the world's most popular sport. Even kids in third-world countries can play soccer. There is less barrier to entry to soccer, thus more can participate, thus it is more popular around the world.

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Soccer not being a sport where you can make a lot of money yet is def a factor.

If you are a parent, why would you want your kid to make 60k out of hs when he can make more in baseball?

Draft saved Draft deleted