1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justice Dept. to Recommend No Civil Rights Charges in Ferguson Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No credible accounts pointed to Wilson's guilt:

“While credible witnesses gave varying accounts of exactly what Brown was doing with his hands as he moved toward Wilson — i.e., balling them, holding them out, or pulling up his pants up — and varying accounts of how he was moving — i.e., ‘charging,’ moving in ‘slow motion,’ or ‘running’ — they all establish that Brown was moving toward Wilson when Wilson shot him,” the report said.
    No witnesses had accounts that were credible and pointed toward Mr. Wilson’s guilt, the investigators wrote.

2. YankeeFan

Eric Holder:

This morning, the Justice Department announced the conclusion of our investigation and released a comprehensive, 87-page report documenting our findings and conclusions that the facts do not support the filing of criminal charges against Officer Darren Wilson in this case. Michael Brown’s death, though a tragedy, did not involve prosecutable conduct on the part of Officer Wilson.

This conclusion represents the sound, considered, and independent judgment of the expert career prosecutors within the Department of Justice. I have been personally briefed on multiple occasions about these findings. I concur with the investigative team’s judgment and the determination about our inability to meet the required federal standard.

This outcome is supported by the facts we have found – but I also know these findings may not be consistent with some people’s expectations. To all those who have closely followed this case, and who have engaged in the important national dialogue it has inspired, I urge you to read this report in full.

Attorney General Holder Delivers Update on Investigations in Ferguson, Missouri | OPA | Department of Justice

3. YankeeFan

More Holder:

I recognize that the findings in our report may leave some to wonder how the department’s findings can differ so sharply from some of the initial, widely reported accounts of what transpired.

Anyone want to take a crack at why the findings differed so sharply from initial, widely reported accounts of what transpired?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, a whole bunch of people lied, stirred up by Brown's friend who returned to the scene and started spewing a lot of crap.

5. YankeeFan

And, knowing this, they sought to have Officer Wilson arrested, and convicted, on lies, in order to satisfy some form of social justice.

A narrative was written and disseminated, and it was swallowed whole by many in the public and the media.

Have any prominent proponents of the arrest of Darren Wilson offered a mea culpa yet, or is it too important to stick with the narrative, even though it's been proven false?

Is anyone here going to issue a mea culpa?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sharpton still hasn't apologized for Tawana Brawley. You're expecting him to apologize for this?

7. YankeeFan

This is a lie. If folks want to make progress on the issue of police brutality/bias, this is not the case to focus on, and will serve only to drive people into competing camps.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you can be driven to support general police brutality by an off-base tweet, you probably wanted to get there anyway.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I wish the BLM movement would pin its star to a legit case such as Castille, instead of the one cop shooting that has been demonstrably proven to be total bullshit as far as the claims of the deceased's family and friends.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted