1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New job, new Twitter account?

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by aohanlon3, Mar 25, 2015.

1. aohanlon3

aohanlon3 New Member

I've seen some people use their old Twitter account after moving on to a new job, but I've also seen others set up new ones with the final tweet from the old one saying something like "I'm leaving (old job). Follow me at (new job account)."

What's your opinion on creating a new Twitter account when you start a new job?

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Some shops have laid claim to a reporter's twitter followers. But, other times a reporter will have "@JoeBlowPodunkTimes so they have to register a @JoeBlowNewJobDaily

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You can change your twitter handle. Our mid-major beat guy switched his when he got a major school beat at a different paper.

SFIND likes this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Keep it unless your paper claimed ownership.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Don't get a new one, and don't change your Twitter handle. If you become verified, get a new job and change your handle, you will lose your verification.

6. krmcguire

krmcguire New Member

I think it is silly to start a brand new Twitter account unless your previous employer somehow owns the account. You have put in time and effort building your following, so why abandon them when a new job comes along? I recommend informing your followers of your new job and focus, and then leave it up to the followers to decide whether or not to continue following you. There may be a good chance they will continue following you even if you start covering a rival team or maybe even a different sport entirely. Good content is good content worth following, regardless of the beat for most Twitter users.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Just change your handle, don't create a new account

Draft saved Draft deleted