1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches vs. student reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 26, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Hondo mentioned Bobby Knight joking about blowing up the student paper on the NCAA Tournament thread.

I'm curious about other times when a coach has torn a student a new asshole or treated them like shit publicly.

The one that stands out the most to me was Geno Auriemma going off on that student several years ago.

Steve Spurrier was always interesting with the female student reporters. He famously nicknamed Andrea Szulsteyn (now Adelson) "Red Zone" and had nicknames for others. There was one who he would call "Fat (Her name)" if she wasn't around and "Big (Her name) if she was. He slipped more than once when she was around and to give credit, she handled it like a fucking champ.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Norm had several run-ins with student scribes during my time at Missouri but the worst I recall was a dust-up with Jim Thomas. Stewart threatened the guy's child.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

EDIT: Thomas was not a student. Apologize for not clarifying.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Fuck. I'm stunned I had never heard about that one.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well, in Stewart's defense, I was unfairly vague. Norm was ticked about something Jim had done and made a stupid comment that I don't think he really meant. It's been so long ago I cannot remember more specifics. It created quite a buzz, though.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I remember the football coach at my alma mater challenging a student reporter who questioned his play calling. The home team trailed by like 5 points as time wound down and, after driving to the opponents' 1-yard line, they got hit with a 15-yard face mask penalty. So, on 4th and goal from the 16, the coach called a QB draw and the QB, who was slower than shit, was predictably tackled at about the 10-yard line. Never had a chance.

Student reporter: What went into the decision to call a draw on fourth down?
    Coach: What the hell would have you called?
    Reporter: Well, I'm not the coach. I just wanted to know why you called the play.
    Coach: Well if you think you're so goddamned smart, why don't you coach fucking the team? /ends press conference

Guy was a shitty coach and was fired at the end of the season anyway. I think he saw the writing on the wall and just lost his mind a little bit. But it was still a shitty way to treat a student reporter who asked a reasonable question (and, no, I was not said reporter).

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does handling it like a champ mean? Did she sock him in the jaw?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember that with Stewart. I would have made it my mission to run his angry ass out of town if that was me.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Unfortunately not. I would have paid to see that.

It's easy to say what she should have done. When you're a student and you're dealing with a legendary coach, it's intimidating.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

A thread like this can't go any longer without mentioning when Coach K invited the reporters of the school paper into the locker room and then proceeded to rip them right in front of the players.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The football coach at my alma mater banned me from press conferences because he didn't like my questions. We had a sit down after a week or 10 days and it was all good.

Then he got fired at the end of the season.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought for sure that would be the subject of the first post on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted