1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS makes student with Down syndrome and autism remove varsity letter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The mom should demand the complaining parents be identified.

Be an asshole if you want to, but then own it.

IN MY DAY in high school a few (decades) ago, you got a letter emblem for playing on the team, OR for serving in a student staff capacity (manager, trainer, etc.).

There was no differentiation between 'playing' and 'non-playing' awards, and the parents of all-state linebackers didn't walk around harrumphing that some pencil-neck-geek towel boy or statkeeping manager (or, I suppose, special needs kid) got the same varsity letter as their bone-crunching 6-3, 245, D-1 bound son. Maybe they bitched behind closed doors, but it never went public.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Why worry about anyone else anyway? If your kid is any good, then he will get more recognition down the line. Pretty simple really.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Teachable moment? Really, asshole? He'll be lucky to work at Wendy's, like someone said, why take this away from him?

4. DeskMonkey1

This

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great post. Fly that jerk flag high.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Everyone involved, with the exception of the SPED kid and his family, deserves the shitstorm they're having to weather right now. I can't believe a principal would do something like this.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The mother should go to all the parents of players on the team and ask them (firmly) to sign a statement denying they made the complaint. Most -- probably all -- will, forcing the principal to take the heat (or out the real culprits).

Or maybe the bitcher will own up to it. I mean, if they're objecting on grounds of principle, they ought to be willing to stand up and say so. Or else maybe they're just being sniveling spiteful bitches.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hot take

I think ONE of the parents might be on this message board. ;)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, it could be a teachable moment for the rest of the school and whatever idiot parent complained that not everyone is as lucky as they are to have relatively normal lives and that special needs kids shouldn't measured by the same standards that the rest of the school is.

10. DeskMonkey1

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can't just have every person that wants to buy a letter and jacket down at the store go get one.

You also don't want to look like a heartless bastard when this kid comes rolling down the hall with one.

A solution could be the team awards letters to supporters of the team whose parents fill out a form for approval. Sort of like a 12 th man type of thing. And all of these letters should be distributed through the ADs office or the principal's office.

So the kid would get one, and there still is a specialness attached to having the letter.

Draft saved Draft deleted