1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coaches vs. student reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nonsense, Coach K is a saint. That noted journalist, Dick Vitale, tells us so every week.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Were they student reporters?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's Auriemmaesque.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Thomas had written an article about how many players were leaving Stewart's program, voluntarily or involuntarily. Stewart did not like that, and he told Thomas that he knew some people in Detroit who could take care of his kid.

It was first reported in the Missourian by a graduate student reporter. But this reporter was a non-traditional student, having been a lawyer for years before deciding to get into journalism. She wasn't intimidated by Stewart one bit and pointedly asked Steward about it. That's how it became a big deal. I wish I could remember her name because we later had the same beat for a while.

Edit: To add, I don't think Stewart was serious about having Jim's kid hurt, but he was nasty enough to suggest he could have it done.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is that Jim Thomas from the Post-Dispatch you're talking about? The guy who covers the Rams now? One of the nicest, most unassuming guys in the business?

7. swingline

One and the same. He had the Mizzou beat before Vahe, although they both tackled it at times back then. We're talking late 1980s.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow. I can't believe anyone could be that big a dick to that nice a guy.

9. swingline

You never dealt with Stewart. He is and he would.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My buddy was SE of the student paper and covered football and hockey and I covered some of the "non-revenue" sports, but I remember he was always a pain in the ass of the hockey coach and football coach and got into tons of "disagreements" during interviews. Most just were terse responses for a while or refusing to let us talk to a certain play for a few weeks, just to dick with us.
    The football coach was gone soon after we graduated and the hockey coach left around the same time and ended up winning a national title a few years after leaving, but I have to give it to him, he thanked the local media for their efforts and pointed out my buddy by name for holding his feet to the fire at times.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Class act by the hockey coach.

12. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Draft saved Draft deleted