1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

How long before Lavin is back on ESPN? Tonight?

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If I'm Seth Greenberg, I start looking for a coaching job anywhere. Lavin is about to take all of his airtime.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It will be very interesting to see what he does.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Given Marshall coaches a team whose arena is named after one of the Koch brothers, he should have no problem getting $3M there.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Barnes officially out at Texas. Marshall and Smart have been rumored, and both are said to have "heavy interest," per Jeff Goodman.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I would think Texas -- or Tennessee -- would be big enough jobs to pique Smart's interest.

At Tennessee of course you'd have to contend with UK, but what if Calipari bolts to the NBA in a season or so (or sooner) and the new guy isn't so high up on WWW's Christmas-card list?

With UF and Donovan seemingly temporarily dormant there seems to be an opportunity for another SEC powerhouse to rise. Aside from KU in the Big12, there seems plenty of room for another team to make a move.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Even if Creighton stayed in the MVC, they would have had a down year in their standards, which was the case in the Big East this year.

The MVC is in a cycle of Wichita and UNI. Several years ago it was Creighton and Wichita before that SIU and Bradley.

Bradley just hired Brian Wardle from Wis-Green Bay.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

In re Koch Brothers, they fronted the $3m to name the arena after their old man. As far as I know, that's about as much interaction they've had with Wichita State, unless someone knows more about their relationship with WSU.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Gotta wonder if the Fred Hoiberg to the Bulls chatter has any validity. I could see him staying in Ames the rest of his career, but just as easily picking the first good NBA spot up for the taking.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They gave another $11 million last year. They are certainly committed to keeping up the facilities and providing scholarships to the university, but I don't know how much they are willing to spend on a coach.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama fans are convinced that this time the school should hire a top level coach. They tried hiring the hot young coach in Anthony Grant and it didn't work out for them. Word is that Bill Battle has up to maybe $4m to spend to make a Sabanesque basketball hire, and this is likely to be his only shot at making a legacy hire in a money sport. They've been pounding the drum for Greg Marshall or Shaka Smart, and actually thinking they might get one of them. I don't, but a tall stack of money does have its attractions.

Then Texas sacked Rick Barnes, and even the Tide fans realize that Texas has as much or more to spend than UA does and that living in Austin, Tx. beats Tuscaloosa, Al.

I bet they make a run at Barnes instead. He was an assistant under Wimp Sanderson, he has proven that he can get to the NCAA's regularly, and from Barnes' standpoint Alabama is a nice soft landing.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That makes much more sense than some young up-and-comer. Why the hell would Shaka Smart want to go to Tuscaloosa so he could fetch Little Debbies for Nick Saban?

Draft saved Draft deleted