1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Canteen Boy is way edgier than that ISIS thing, and nevermind things like Pryor vs. Chase.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

"Dead Honky"

I'm trying to think if they show that entire skit on the anniversary specials. I know where there was a stretch when they were bleeping the N-word, and that's when it was on E!

I thought Canteen Boy was hilarious, but if someone said, "Well, here's why you can't air it..." I would obviously agree with that person.

I saw the ISIS punchline coming, so I didn't think it was that funny. I liked that they were willing to go there, even though I didn't care for the sketch.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I believe on the 40th, the only part they showed was Pryor going "Dead honky!", which kind of neuters the whole thing.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I think you're right.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Chris Hemsworth American Express "commercial" was good. Even better, the next thing shown was the actual American Express commercial with Mindy Kaling.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They showed the whole thing, uncensored, when NBC aired the Pryor episode about a week after the anniversary special.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

So that's what it looks like when The Rock 69s another guy.

But seriously, I loved the Bambi sketch.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Bambi and the Pep Boys talking gender issues were good. the rest of the show was just sort of meh

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The wrestling promo sketch was a disaster.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It didn't all work, but The Great One is Money in the Bank when he hosts.

11. RecoveringJournalist

They showed the first episode of the 1986-87 season on Saturday. It was the first show for Carvey, Hartman and Nealon. It had the first Church Chat, Choppin Broccoli, Subliminal Man and the game show where Carvey plays a psychic. Hilarious stuff...

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Really? I thought the escalating cruelty was spectacularly funny. Also intricate. Very intricate.

Draft saved Draft deleted