1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Dodd interview tantrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 29, 2015.

1. CBS' Dennis Dodd threw a bit of a Twitter tantrum after A. A. Ron Rodgers declined an interview with him.

Aaron Rodgers Calls Out Dennis Dodd for Complaining About Not Getting an Interview After Wisconsin’s Win | The Big Lead

Not only was Dodd irritated Rodgers declined to be interviewed, he questioned why Rodgers was on the media only floor, promising the NCAA and Basketball Writers Association would look into the matter.

Jesus, a bit much I think. Get. A. Grip.

I doubt Dodd will get much sympathy from fans. Wonder if he'll get much from his fellow reporters?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rodgers' response pretty much took care of everything:

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've known Dennis for years and like him a lot. Works hard, cares, yada yada.
    While his point about Rodgers (and others who get on the court) may be valid, pick your battles. That one isn't worth it. And Rodgers has the right to say no to any interview request he wants. I hope Dennis' reaction wasn't because he was peeved about Rodgers saying no.

Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers. He'll get on the court. If that's the worst thing we have to deal with as we try and do our work, we're in pretty good shape.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Note to CBS:

Hire me. I'm tantrum-free. :)

EDIT: Just saw Moddy's note as he posted it. Sadly, I think he took to Twitter because he didn't get the interview. Aaron Rodgers, at least, has Wisconsin connections. It's better than, say, Jay-Z getting on the media floor because he can.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Even if Dodd had a legitimate gripe about working conditions, taking it to Twitter was the wrong idea. If he wants to file a complaint through the USBWA as to who should be credentialed, go right ahead. But getting into an online pissing match with an athlete as popular as Rodgers is a fight he can't win.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dodd was in a morally outraged mood all night -- including his column, which included much pearl-clutching that a Badger motioned to his man parts to describe Sam Dekker.

But before that ...

I MADE YOU, RODGERS!!!

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs · 13h13 hours ago
    Aaron Rodgers in one of the biggest moments in the state's history -- ignoring how media has shaped his image -- "I'm not doing interviews"

THIS NCAA TOURNAMENT IS PRESENTED BY CHEVROLET FOR THE PURPOSE OF CELEBRATING DENNIS DODD

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs · 11h11 hours ago
    Here's the equivalent of what A Rodgers did today. I crash his wedding to Olivia because I'm a big "fan."

THERE ARE REASONED RATIONAL POINTS?

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs · 11h11 hours ago
    Love how Twitter boils down reasoned rational thought into bullet points.

Double Down likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

God forbid the Super Bowl-winning quarterback of Wisconsin's professional football team attends, and roots for, Wisconsin's Final 4 basketball team.

I just don't get it sometimes.

8. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

The social media lesson continues: Never tweet when angry.

9. EddieM

EddieM Member

Unless we're counting the State Farm ad execs as part of "the media," I think Dodd is giving us too much credit for Rodgers' reputation/image.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Tweeted by NCAA's David Worlock this morning:

Also, I'm reasonably sure the USBWA (that's one A, Mr. Dodd) has enough issues of its own without worrying about media access to vacationing NFL quarterbacks.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The whole thing was ridiculous. Glad to see Dodd get out in his place.

Draft saved Draft deleted