1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 9, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why I started having fantasy baseball success around the time I stopped rooting for the Pirates.

Ozuna's a tough one. I like the power, but he really has contact issues. I forgot to include Brandon Moss in that list. Maybe I should go with Wong if he's there and hope one of the outfielders slips to me in round 2.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Also Gomes over Storen or Jansen?

3. outofplace

I don't think Storen is the level of closer to keep and Jansen is out at least the first month of the season. If you aren't sold on Gomes, Jansen would be my next choice, simply because the injury is not to his arm.

4. outofplace

I ended up getting Wong, then Pollock in the second round. Had a pretty good start to the draft and a strong group of keepers, but the back half was not my best. It's going to be tough to defend that title.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I got Wong in one of my leagues as well. I've followed him since his Hawaii days and I think he can be a sneaky good pick.

It sucks when the draft ends and you're like, "WTF just happened? I hate my team." That kind of happened to me in my auction draft. I got too frugal early and I wasn't able to capitalize late.

6. outofplace

I've had that happen in auctions, waiting too long and ending up with too much money at the end. I was always patient, sometimes too patient. Of course, I've also had it work out that I grabbed some great bargains when nobody else could spend with me during the endgame. I really need to find a good auction league.

7. outofplace

I'm just not happy being down to one league. Anybody want one more, perhaps an auction league? I'll start it if there is interest.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Team review time! 6x5 with OPS as the extra category. 12 teams, no keepers. I was picking sixth.

C: Carlos Santana
    1B: Paul Goldschmidt
    2B: Jose Altuve
    3B: Matt Carpenter
    SS: Starlin Castro
    IF: Chris Carter
    OF: Bryce Harper
    OF: Matt Kemp
    OF: A.J. Pollock
    OF: Steve Pearce
    UT: Khris Davis
    UT: Micah Johnson
    BN: Rusney Castillo
    BN: Curtis Granderson
    BN: Mike Zunino

SP: Corey Kluber
    SP: James Shields
    RP: Greg Holland
    RP: Drew Storen
    P: Collin McHugh
    P: Hector Rondon
    P: Brett Cecil
    P: Joe Nathan
    BN: Jake Odorizzi
    BN: Taijuan Walker
    BN: Trevor Bauer

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Trade scenario:

So I'm in my first year in this league. Took over the worst team; started rebuilding through the draft. Got Corey Seager, Carlos Rodon, Addison Russell. Well, now the best team in the league wants Russell and Seager. Trading them would basically ruin my rebuilding project, but here's who he has. What package of players (and also his first 2-3 picks in next year's draft) would make it worth my while? Again, my team generally blows.

Trout, Stanton, Bogaerts, Joc Pederson, Billy Hamilton, Joey Gallo, Chapman, Cole, Gray.

11. outofplace

My first suggestion would be to tell him to make an offer. If he's coming to you for those players, put the onus on him. Maybe he will offer up something you like. It always helps to force other guy to make an offer. That becomes even more important in this scenario because you are new to the league. He probably has a better feel for player values. Every league favors certain types of players over others. Maybe this is one that overvalues prospects, so something you would think is an offer he would reject is something that he might like.

Make him give you something special if you are going to ruin your rebuilding plan.

It would help to know how many keepers you can protect each year and any other limitations. Those draft picks are a lot more valuable in a league that protects 5 players, for example, compared to one that protects 10.

I'm not really sure what fits. Of course, if you can find a way to go after Trout, you do it, but I can't imagine prospects are going to get you Trout or Stanton. I'd stay away from Hamilton, but that is a personal preference. I worry about Gallo making enough contact. Do Bogaerts or Pederson really improve you any more than Seager and Russell? Sure, you have to wait on Seager, but your team stinks now anyway, so don't worry about 2015. If you can't find a way to get one of the big guns, Cole is the player I'd target, but I want more than him for an elite prospect.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I plan on soliciting an offer for sure. We can keep anywhere from 0 to 15 players each year. I think I kept 4 from last year and accrued a boatload of comp picks before the real draft started. That's how I ended up with the prospects I have. This is likely a no-deal situation as I doubt I'd blow up my team unless Trout is involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted