1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Univ. of Wyoming athletics beat writer - Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rjacobson1, Mar 11, 2015.

1. rjacobson1

rjacobson1 New Member

The Casper Star-Tribune, Wyoming's leading newspaper, is looking for a versatile and motivated sports journalist to contribute to our talented staff.

Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune.

Your beat will be to cover Division I athletics at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, primarily football and basketball. In the offseason, you’ll also contribute to our coverage of rodeo and other state-wide sporting events as Casper plays host to the week-long College National Finals Rodeo each June.

This beat has helped propel former employees into big-time gigs at CBSSports.com, Foxsports.com and ESPN.com, to name a few. Our last beat writer is now covering Notre Dame football at the South Bend Tribune.

We’re looking for a well-rounded reporter who is comfortable in all facets of covering a beat, including breaking news, writing in-depth feature stories and developing long-term projects. The ideal candidate will tell stories that go beyond the X’s and O’s, update our audience on the latest recruiting news and also produce weekly videos.

Our newsroom is hard-working but fun, and we take pride in being the prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section has a long history of consistently winning APSE awards, including six honors in 2014. We were named a Top 10 section for the Under 30,000 circulation category in Daily Section and Special Section, along with an honorable mention for Sunday Section.

The Star-Tribune, with a circulation of about 17,000, was named Wyoming’s best daily newspaper this past year. You’ll live and play among Wyoming’s outdoor splendor – Casper’s central location (we’re about a four-hour drive north of Denver) offers a wide range of non-work activities.

Experienced journalists are preferred for this position, but new journalists are welcome to apply.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our web site at trib.com. Learn about our parent company at Lee Enterprises

Apply online at Career Opportunities Upload a cover letter, resume and five to seven clips.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at ross.jacobson@trib.com

2. rjacobson1

rjacobson1 New Member

For anyone that's wondering, yes there are two reporter openings on our staff. One mainly devoted to high schools and this one as the Univ of Wyoming beat writer. Candidates may apply for both.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For those wondering, at least the previous two folks who've held this job have been based in Laramie.

4. rjacobson1

rjacobson1 New Member

Yes, this position will be based in Laramie where the university is.

5. Potter

Potter Member

What's the salary range?

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just got a Twitter follow from the new guy on this beat (a fellow SJer). Congrats to him. APSE winner who will do a good job. I'll let him announce, but just wanted to note for anyone who's still holding out hope for this one that it has been filled.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Saw the same announcement on APSE. Congratulations!

8. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'll be starting April 20. Excited to get started.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

I loved my time in Laramie (not in journalism).

Draft saved Draft deleted