1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with Texas, Bama, Tennessee and other schools is that have the money and expectations but not the pedigree of a the blue blood hoop programs, plus those schools tend to be all about basketball.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Barnes would be a good get for either Tennessee or Alabama.

If Texas isn't able to land Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall, then pushing Barnes out is going to look foolish.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think so, but it really isn't about making sense. It's about Auburn hiring Bruce Pearl and making a run to the SEC Finals while Alabama goes home early, Miss St. hiring Ben Howland, and Jerod Haase's UAB team making the dance and advancing, upsetting Iowa St. Bill Battle did seemed to be inclined to give Grant one more season, over the grumblings of the Tide fans, until all that happened. At that point the talk shifted to making a home run hire, with the focus on Marshall, with Smart the second choice if for some reason Marshall would not do the obvious thing and come to Tuscaloosa. You have to add in the delusional fan factor. A three to four million dollar salary number started to float around.

Hiring any up and coming young coach or seasoned assistant from a storied program was off the table following Grant. I think Mike White at La. Tech would be a great hire, and they could get him far cheaper, but that isn't going to fly. I guess that it is still possible that they get Marshall, but I just can't see him or Smart taking the job.

Barnes brings experience, a credible record, and is a big enough name to fend off the "I thought we were making a name hire?", which at this point is also important. Alabama going into free fall as they get turned down publicly several times is something they very much want to avoid.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

DePaul agrees in principle to bring Dave Leitao back as head coach.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's an...interesting move.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hey, he had enough success there to land an ACC job. Purnell brought a better resume, but he wasn't as effective there. Why not?

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

DePaul Basketball: We give a fuck, but we really don't give a fuck.

9. franticscribe

How is bringing back the only coach to have a winning record at DePaul, who also had them in the NCAA tournament and the NIT in each of his three seasons there, not giving a fuck?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

More often than not, bringing back a former coach ends in mediocrity or disaster. John Robinson wasn't nearly as good his second time around at USC. Johnny Majors was a shell of himself the second time around at Pitt. Petrino is working but he's more the exception than the rule. Not to mention simply re-hiring the old guy is lazy.

11. franticscribe

Those are all reasonable points, but I don't agree that it DePaul isn't trying here. Leitao seems like a decent enough hire to me. The other options were apparently Bobby Hurley and Bryce Drew, either of which would also have been decent. Leitao is the guy who had the most success at DePaul since Joey Meyer, and this time around he's recruiting into a better league with much better facilities coming online soon.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's pretty damn hard to recruit to a place you once left voluntarily. Even Billy Donovan saw a big dip for a year or two when he left Florida for the Magic for about 5 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted