1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's the New Mexico photographer story.

SCOTUS declined to hear the appeal.

As a Christian, I've had this argument many, many times. Many times. And my point repeatedly boils down to: Christian faith does not include a steady income from a source of your choice. If one feels their conscience is violated in photographing these ceremonies, they shouldn't take the pictures. From there, the law does what it does with that, and a Christian, however financially aggrieved, has to understand that, even in America, there's an occasional cost to following one's faith.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They have the same rights as I do.

3. old_tony

Seems to me you've made doctorquant's point quite clearly.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I speak from a Christian perspective. I'd rather have the cost be on the Christian's livelihood -- which, in this case, does no damage to our testimony, and could in fact strengthen it -- than some vague protection of said Christian's ability to work without fear of being put in a bind.

franticscribe likes this.
  5. old_tony

Might as well simply say Christians have no rights.

6. EddieM

EddieM Member

Which is convenient, seeing as American rights favor white, Christian men. I can understand why an alternative would be uncomfortable for you.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, there were times in American history when black Christians didn't have many.

For white Christians, it has never been true in America and I'm guessing it never will be true. White Christians have it better here than just about anywhere at any point in the human history of the world, Old or New Testament.

The lack of rights is largely true, however, in other places of the world. The gospel isn't dead there. It lives, it flourishes, it's extraordinary.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still confused as to how doing business with faggots impinges on religious freedom. What a fascinating country we live in.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The poor persecuted white Christian. They are the real victims here.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

A lot of people are in for a real shit show when they die and meet God and he says, "First thing's fucking last: I never wrote a book. If I were gonna' write a fucking book I would have done it in a way that wasn't up for various interpretations. A bunch of men wrote a book about me. It's not The Book of God; It's The Book about God. And you idiots of all people should know that I not only gave you Mike Royko but I also gave you a Jayson fucking Blair. Dumbasses."

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, those people sound ignorant and arrogant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.