1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Any predictions on if we'll see a major character get killed tomorrow night?

Folks are speculating it could be Daryl, because he just put his Atlanta-area home up for sale. But he had been living there for three years before fans realized who lived there, so I don't know if too much should be made of that.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I thought the rule was: He dies, we riot.
    :)

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Awesome finale, a lot to process. Initial thoughts:
    - I love how Carol has matured as a character. I said some pages back that I was done with her as a character and I kind of rolled my eyes that they brought her back, but I'm glad they did. I thought her story had kind of played it's course, but I was wrong. She's awesome.
    - It looks like Lennie James may be joining the cast for real next season, which I'm happy about. I've liked the actor since he was on Jericho, and I'm looking forward to seeing his relationship with Rick. He just told Daryl how every life is precious and, the first thing he sees upon arriving at Alexandria is a blood-covered Rick shooting a subdued man in the head. I'm wondering if this will begin the redemption of Rick and if Morgan will help him find a balance between the somewhat naive protector of the first few seasons to the hardened, almost despotic leader he's become.
    - Deanna just sucks. She wasn't willing to send Pete away because of her ideals, but the minute it hurts her personally, she orders Rick to kill him. She's no leader.
    - I'm glad the forum went down the way it did. If they had let it go the way it was appearing to go, it would have been a bit redundant over what we've already seen in encounters with other groups.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That really was an excellent finale. You are absolutely right about Deanna. Maybe she had been a good leader for a time, but that went out the window when she lost her son. She seemed to allow her bitterness to guide her from there.

Was it a bit too convenient for Morgan to come to the rescue at the Wolves' trap? Yeah, probably. It also seems odd that he turned into such a badass with that staff, but that's nothing new. They never really explained how Michonne got to be so good with a sword, either. I'm ready to just write it off as natural talent for the same reason. I just like the character.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured Glenn was a goner as soon as he said "I love you" to Maggie. I wonder if the actors "disposability" helps them get into character knowing each week on the show could be their last.
    I've got to think Cudlitz's character will die soon if Morgan sticks around

6. bigpern23

Yeah, it's another one of those things that don't really need to be explained, though I watched part of Talking Dead last night, which I don't often have time to do, and Lennie James talked about Morgan's newfound clarity and skills. He mentioned that since we saw him last, when he was acting crazy in that apartment (I think the episode was called "Clear"), something has happened to him that helped him, so maybe he learned some skills along the way as well.

My one quibble with the episode was that Rick noticed the gate was open and Glen got shot in broad daylight. After the commercial break, we see everyone gathered around the fire, Nicholas walking through the woods in the dark and Rick is still running in the pitch dark, searching for the walkers. It took him a helluva long time to run three blocks to find those damn things. :)

I thought the they were setting up a fake-out on killing Glen when, after the zombies piled on top of him, they went to commercial break and I saw that Norman Reedus was among the guests on Talking Dead. That made me think we were in for a shocking finale of Daryl dying to save Morgan and Aaron. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

I've never really seen Reedus out of character - I only know him as Daryl and Murphy McManus from Boondock Saints - so it was cool to see how "normal" he seemed. I kind of figured he was more or less playing himself as Daryl. I thought he spoke that way and was maybe a little gruff. Gave me more respect for him as an actor. It was also interesting to see how much he appears to be a fan of the show. He spoke several times from the perspective of being a viewer, enjoying Morgan's character, etc. Guess I should watch Talking Dead more often.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Morgan was fantastic. I became a big fan of Lennie James when he played Robert Hawkins on Jericho. In fact, Morgan reminded me of Hawkins last night.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Loved Morgan going ninja. I turned to JR and said "I think we just found Michonne's boyfriend". :)

9. bigpern23

Really, though, Rick and Michonne should get together. Forget the blonde. Michonne is the perfect match for Rick.

HC likes this.
  10. bigpern23

If the screenwriters for Jericho simply released the rest of the story online, I'd read it. I hated that we never got to find out what happens. That show was awesome.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It sure was. One of my all-time favorites.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Interesting that they haven't really touched on any romantic interests for either character other than Rick wanting the the woman he just widowed.

I know we tend to stay away from the source material, but I think this is fair game because it refers to events that have already happened or could not happen on the show. In the comic, Michonne got together with Tyreese and it was Tyreese the Governor captured and decapitated outside the prison rather than Herschel.

I won't comment on Morgan. Pretty sure they have already gone something of an alternate route, as they have with many other characters.

Draft saved Draft deleted