1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems logical to include this Georgia bill in this discussion, but if the mods think it should be its own thread, they can move it.

Georgia Republicans are trying to shoehorn a similar bill through their state legislature. The Senate subcommittee tasked with crafting the bill actually voted it through to put it on the floor when the lone Democrat on the committee was in the bathroom.

Once it reached the floor, the bill was amended by Republican Mike Jacobs to include language that would prohibit discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, among other amendments. The GOP then tabled the bill, because as Sen. Josh McKoon, a Republican and author of the bill, said of the amendment: "Adoption of it negates the purpose of the bill.”

Sooooo, if adding an amendment that prohibits discrimination based on grounds of sexual orientation "negates the purpose of the bill," what then is the purpose of the bill?

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/stat...premium#3315ad28.3913704.735683#__federated=1

Not surprisingly, the convention industry is taking notice of how things went in Indiana and are warning passing a similar bill could be disastrous to business.
    ‘Religious liberty’ bill takes a sharp rightward turn, convention industry says $15 million in business at risk | Political Insider blog

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Preach it, brother!

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Allow me to change my "jurisprudence" to "assertions made by the Second, Eighth, Ninth and D.C. Circuits and the U.S. Department of Justice." In Wheaton College v. Burwell, the latter argued:

"... if plaintiff were sued by a plan participant or beneficiary in the future, plaintiff, in its defense of such an action, would have an opportunity to raise its contention that the contraceptive coverage requirement violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (“RFRA”) and the First Amendment. And, if plaintiff were to lose this hypothetical future ERISA action, the most plaintiff would have to do is provide coverage for emergency contraception – but only after the court determines that the requirement does not violate RFRA or the First Amendment."

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why not ask: What Would Jesus Do?

6. Mr. Sunshine

The greatest trick the liberals ever pulled was convincing people THEIR hatred was acceptable.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think the guys with the clerical collars is an especially nice touch.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Posting cartoons to mock religion. That's not very open-minded of you, MC.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not a "liberal."

11. Mr. Sunshine

Don't deny who you are. It's not healthy. Embrace yourself.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Indiana wants to pass a law to protect photographers and bakers from being required to provide their generally available to the public services to gays getting married. I'm going out on a limb and guessing the drafters looked at the New Mexico decision finding the photographer could not use the State's RFRA as a defense rather than a DOJ brief in determining the need to add language regarding private party suits. Presumably they also knew the federal courts had split on this issue, though.

As I noted in my first post and the second post of this thread, the Indiana law included a provision that explicitly extended its coverage to certain legal entities, thereby avoiding state level litigation of the issue. Similarly. the drafters also wanted to avoid litigation, and potential loss courts on the issue of private party suits because litigation on this issue had shown that this could limit the situations persons could raise the law as a defense. I'd have done the same thing if I wanted to draft a law to extend protections of a RFRA to persons who don't want to serve gays based on their sexual orientation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.