1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't go to church. That makes me a generally good person. But I won't be truly open-minded and tolerant until I start mocking those who do.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Who here is mocking going to church?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just don't say Jehovah out loud.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's one hell of a good question

Songbird likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Atheists waste so much energy attacking what other people believe.
    While the other side gives no fucks about what they have chosen to reject.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. SnarkShark

What does this have to do with denying homosexuals service, because they are homosexual?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody is mocking people for going to church. The people being mocked are the ones who are trying to use religious freedom to protect their ability to act on their bigotry.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am simply noting bigotry and intolerance as a response to bigotry and intolerance.
    Those things cancel out in rational equations.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When do we that big reduction in the price of beer?

10. SnarkShark

If I believe people who disagree with me should be killed, should that belief be respected?

11. Mr. Sunshine

UVA Law Prof Who Supports Gay Marriage Explains Why He Supports Indiana's Religious Freedom Law | The Weekly Standard

Interesting stuff here. Especially this:

"Part of the problem is conservative legislators and activists promising the base that a state RFRA will protect them against gay-rights laws. That's just pandering; there is no basis in experience to think that. But the gay-rights side has piled on with the charge that these laws are licenses to discriminate. So both sides are misleading the public. And the academics who have actually studied these laws and know what they do can't get anyone to pay attention over the din."

old_tony likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

It's a belief that doesn't result in 1/100th of the vitriol that this silly law in Indiana has. If you didn't know better, you'd think Mike Pence was out there cutting the heads off homosexuals. Meanwhile, most of the people OUTRAGED! by Indiana can't even bother to get upset about all-too-common massacres in the name of religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.