1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Jon Stewart rank? (Or "RIP The Daily Show")

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw one of his appearances and he certainly has a great presence.

Good for Stewart that he didn't stay in a job that he was tired of just for the checks.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ehhhh. Of their current roster of correspondents, with the caveat that he's only been on the show three times, I thought he was their weakest correspondent. Jessica Williams would have been my top in-house choice, once Jason Jones and Samantha Bee both left. Simmons had a tweet that they offered the gig to Poehler, Louis CK and Amy Schumer, but all three turned it down. So, I guess they're going the "up and comer" route as a result, but it kind of seems like they're hoping to replace Stewart on the cheap to me.

3. EddieM

EddieM Member

Jessica Williams would have been awesome. But she didn't want the job --not yet.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Poehler, CK and Schumer knew following Stewart would be tough, and they really have too much of their own style to need to worry about fitting into his shoes. Another thing, I really think comedy evolves and changes over time and I think the "these leaders are so dumb" kind of comedy is ready for a change as well. Think of the change from multi-camera sitcoms to "mockumentary" style... Noah will provide the "outsider" perspective of John Oliver

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Noah hosted a late night show in South Africa and touches on a lot of cultural and political topics in his stand-up. I think that may work in his favor.

Ultimately it comes down to his delivery. That's what made Stewart - and his awesome sub, John Olivet - so good. They could be acerbic, cynical and sarcastic, which I think is what The Daily Show audience gravitates toward.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This show won't exist next year.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Jessica Williams is great, but I just assumed it would go to any of the incredible people who have been on that show for years. Jason Jones, Samantha Bee, John Hodgman...

They're clearly trying to go as young as possible. They must figure if the 20 somethings are all watching Fallon, they need to go for the even younger crowd.

8. EddieM

EddieM Member

Well, to be fair, Williams is 6 years younger than Noah... but again, she didn't even want to be considered this early in her career.

It would be interesting to know if they are changing the age group they are targeting. I would think college-age still makes more sense for their shtick than high-school age, but obviously I have no insider info there. But I think what people miss by just looking at TV ratings is how much ad money (and eyeballs) can be brought in through the viral videos. A lot of Stewart's audience (like Oliver's) watches it the next day on the web. Maybe they push that even harder.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I'm sure Comedy Central is looking for some kind of cookie for having two African-American late night hosts.

10. EddieM

EddieM Member

11. RecoveringJournalist

The biggest crimes in those tweets is that they're not very funny.

Low brow? Absolutely.

Racist? I don't know... I think they're pretty questionable, but there's probably enough room for interpretation that this won't cost him the job.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I have always felt that Jon Stewart was the Daily Show and vice versa, so it is hard for me to see anyone succeed in replacing him. But I can't imagine the show won't be around in a year. It is a pretty established brand. I think it will still be around next year, but it might not be with Trevor Noah as host. He is probably the guy before the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted