1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next Comedy Central Roast will be... James Franco...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2013.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

This one killed me...

"You were such a pussy on Ellen she wanted to eat you."

2. RecoveringJournalist

I think this was a good move for him. He showed he can laugh at himself and he just got paid probably seven figures to be able to apologize on TV. I have no idea if he was being sincere, but I think he came out of this better than he went in.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is the same Comedy Central that aired a Ari Shaffir special where he shit on a one-armed comic, right? Yeah, fuck them.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Comedy Central generally offers a high six-figure (or more) donation to a charity of the roastee. Trump claimed CC donated $2 mil for his roast.
    It's worth it for CC - they got a lot of visibility to promote their new shows.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I think the last several have been over $1 million. I wish they did more than one a year.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm a little disappointed that Martha Stewart just told some jokes instead of offering a recipe.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the list of celebrities there to roast him? Shaq? Martha Stewart? Ludacris? Why?

8. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Because they could.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I guess that settles that.

10. RecoveringJournalist

There are usually three types at these roasts, people the roastee wants (Hart, Ludacris, D'Elia...) people who Comedy Central want to promote (Ross, Burress, Davidson, Leggerro) and people who Comedy Central thinks the people will like (Shaq, Snoop, Stewart). They almost always need an older woman there for the comedians to play off of, hence Betty White, Florence Henderson at previous roasts. They usually want an old woman and a fat guy. I don't know who the fat guy was this time, I'm guessing Shaq and Ross.

Russell Peters said on one of the podcasts that the two comics Bieber requested were him and D'Elia and he wanted Hart to host. Comedy Central did not want Peters because he's never done a special with them.If you think about it, Hart is a pretty good get for one of these things.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

At least they didn't ask The Situation to come give it another try.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I don't think there was a single WTF person on this roast other than Stewart. Shaq has actually done a lot of these (not for Comedy Central) and is a huge fan of comedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted