1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Go ahead and sue me, the business owner will say.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Neither is serving people food at a diner, but there are no more "whites only" signs.

And gays and lesbians are still human beings regardless of what Fred Phelps' acolytes have to say on the subject.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, if it's not a civil right, like riding a bus, then we should be able to make gays ride in the back, right?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, "we'll allow you to have your religious beliefs, but we will not allow you to act on it if you use it to discriminate against people who are not the same as you or violate another person's equal rights."

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Basically, you want to be exempt from providing information on abortions at a religious-based clinic? Fine. You want to be exempt from providing safe sex educational materials/condoms/birth control at your school/clinic? Fine. You want to be exempt from shaving your beard while working at a restaurant? Fine. You want to be exempt from health and safety laws so you can perform animal sacrifice? Fine, just make sure you do it in a away that doesn't cause a health crisis. But if you want to deny service/employment to someone based on their sexual orientation/gender identity? Not so fast.

There is for sure a way for people to have their religious beliefs protected and have people who want to live their lives not to be discriminated against in the process.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If riding a bus is a civil right, why do you have to pay to get on one?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Is that a yes? Gays in the back? (giggle)

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Apple. I am explaining it. If Apple wants to do business in Saudi Arabia, it's gonna have to put up with draconian, disgusting laws. If you buy an Apple product, you are, on some minute level, affirming those practices.

Look: You can't buy much anymore without having to make that bargain. Anything you buy that's made in China benefits a government that mandates, on some level, the one-child policy.

Fortunately, as Christians, we're not called to separatism. As it reads in Jeremiah:

“Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This seems to be the place to mention that I caught an old "Batman" episode the other day and Liberace was the villain.

Songbird likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why is giving money considered free speech?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

All civil rights are free? Where do I get my free Glock?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Keep and bear is not the same as "buy." Most adults understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.