1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Also the debut of Jan Hooks and Victoria Jackson.

So that means that Nora Dunn, Dennis Miller and Jon Lovitz were the only ones brought back from the previous season. The cold open with Madonna certainly indicated they knew the previous season was not good at all. But they did well keeping Dunn, Miller and Lovitz.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've always thought that cast, basically when they added Mike Myers was the best ever.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Season 16 had that crew, plus the first years of Sandler, Schneider, Spade, and also had Julia Sweeney, Rock and Farley. About the only weak links were Victoria Jackson and Tim Meadows.

The repeat at 10 p.m. Saturday has Johnny Cash and Elton John. It's from 1982 with Murphy so it might be decent.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I loved that cast too, but really only the Farley stuff and Sandler's update songs hold up. I think Spade had two full seasons where he was barely used. I think Rock is remembered as being better on SNL than he actually was since he's such a brilliant comic.

5. old_tony

Rock was actually very good on SNL, just badly under-used.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed. They didn't know what to do with him. Nat X was probably his best character.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. I laughed my ass off. But I had a friend watch it the next day and he didn't even smile. Guess it depends on how much you have followed wrestling ... if you don't care for WWE, then I guess you wouldn't like it. But I thought the Rock was outstanding throughout.

8. old_tony

I'd agree with the caveat that it was his best recurring character. Love Nat X. "SIT YOUR WHITE ASS DOWN!!"

Maybe even better was his turn as Luther Campbell in The Sinatra Group.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"No man, I don't haveeee any talent!"

Agree with the others that The Rock was good stuff in his hosting turn. He should be part of the five-timers club soon.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, The Rock is very solid as a host. He's not in the Baldwin, Timberlake, maybe even Melissa McCarthy tier, but he's right below them.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I have seen the "Chopin Broccoli" bit mentioned numerous times. Why is that considered funny? I must miss something as I didn't laugh when I first saw it and I didn't laugh when I last saw it.

old_tony likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If your musical reference point is the last 15 years or so, you probably wouldn't get it. But the soulful singer-songwriters who would pour their hearts out over the most inane lyrics used to be a cottage industry. "Feelings" "Shannon" and pretty much any REO Speedwagon song.

Draft saved Draft deleted