1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

CBS reporting it's "50-50" on Oklahoma State getting rid of Travis Ford.

I could see that throwing in wrinkle into Alabama's plans going after Marshall. T-Boone could throw a lot of money at him if he wants and it could be a better fit for Gregggg for a variety of reasons. He's said before he'd like to have his kids finish high school in Wichita, which they might be able to do if mom and kids want to live a couple hours apart for a couple of years. He'd also be able to keeping looking for recruits in the same areas he's had a lot of success.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A search firm allows a college AD to deny that he talked, specifically, with a certain candidate. Also, if you have a situation over whether the Rutgers or South Florida coach actually has a degree... blame the third-party.

On Tennessee... what exactly do they want from men's basketball? SEC schools are in a slightly different place than most. Except for Vanderbilt, which plays in a smaller stadium than the others, and Kentucky, because UK is basketball-centric, football has to pay for EVERYTHING at the SEC schools. For Tennessee, do they just want a coach who won't draw the NCAA investigators and keep the attendance above 10,000 a game? At least they have the benefit of a women's basketball program that actually brings in some revenue. Tennessee strikes me as a place that has botched about every hire the last 20 years in the revenue sports -- except for Bruce Pearl and I think the current football coach is moving in the right direction.

Their story really started when they allowed enough erosion in the final Fulmer years and never bounced out of it. Somewhere around that point, South Carolina became the higher-profile football program that Tennessee used to be -- Top 10 in the pre-season, ultimately disappointing during the season but constantly on the afternoon game on CBS. (I know, 1998 was the exception for UT.)

3. exmediahack

Would a guy like Greggggg really want to be at the constant judging of T-Boone?

4. Jake_Taylor

How bad is he? Ford has gotten a lot of time and has an enormous buyout despite consistently bringing in 4 and 5-star recruits just to have a losing record in Big 12 play.

There are overbearing boosters every where, Pickens is just more famous than most and not even as rich and powerful as many of them.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Drawing 10,000 a game will get Rick Barnes fired after the first season; the Vols have one of the largest arenas in CBK.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf

You're right, though, about all the botched hires. But Butch Jones is in his honeymoon stage still and Rick Barnes arguably brings the best coaching resume since Johnny Majors returned in 1977.

6. exmediahack

But Barnes is in the downside. It's been 27 years since Feinstein profiled him as the hungry mid major coach in A Season Inside.

It's a money grab for Barnes and a mediocrity grab for Tennessee. Nothing more than a couple of "6"s getting together at bar time.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know about a mediocrity grab for Tenn. They didn't win a tourney game until '79 and did next to nothing before 1989. If you take out the Pearl era, the best they have in their history is Sweet 16 appearances in 2014, 2001 and 1981. And with Pearl included, what Barnes has done just at Texas is equal to or better than what Tennessee has done in its history.

Barnes at Texas (since 1998): 16 tourney appearances 1 Final Four, 2 Elight Eights, 2 Sweet 16s
    Tenn. as a whole (since 1936): 19 tourney appearances, 1 Elite Eight, 5 Sweet 16s

Let's just say Barnes has half of his Texas success: an Elite Eight, another Sweet 16, six other tourney appearances either first or second round losses, a conference tourney title all in the next decade. Is that not acceptable?

8. exmediahack

If you're the head basketball coach at Texas, you're starting life at third base. Just about every conceivable advantage. You should also have the best program within 500 miles of Austin.

Wisconsin, Iowa State, Gonzaga, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Okie State shouldn't be better programs than Texas. Not saying all of them are, but Texas should be better than all of them.

I think it's a bold move by Texas. They want to be top-shelf in basketball. Often this backfires -- I think St John's was insane not to keep Lavin -- but Texas has the resources and the attractiveness to be better than they've been.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If he goes to Alabama, he won't have T. Boone, but he'll have a slew of big boosters who think their opinion matters. Saban went in there and took a weed whacker to all the guys standing around the program thinking they were insiders. I'm not sure that a basketball coach, even one paid that kind of money, can get away with that.

Bottom line is that OSU has a helluva lot more basketball tradition than UA, and its closer to Kansas.

10. Jake_Taylor

I think what would really be attractive about Okie State is that he's developed a nice relationship with Sunrise Academy in Wichita and he ought to be able to recruit there just as easily as the OSU coach as he can at WSU.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the Lavin move (hiring Mullin is a different tangent) because his roster management has been horrendous and next season is going to bear that out.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's that time of year where UVA-affiliated coaches return to their previous jobs, like the salmon of Capistrano, as Ritchie McKay takes the Liberty job.

Draft saved Draft deleted