1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology doc on HBO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I looked it up ... it's pretty interesting. It goes back to the story of Jacob wrestling all night with an angel. Ultimately, when the angel couldn't defeat Jacob, he moved a nerve in Jacob's hip, causing Jacob to limp.

Why don’t we eat the sciatic nerve? - Kosher

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Did the credits look like this?
    [​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Very Libwellian of them.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go join the Scientologists as a show of support, Shoeshine.

Any "religion" that locks up its members, takes their children, blackmails and harasses people that escape its clutches, has earned my intolerance.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Scientology is in no way a religion. It's a cult. Of course many of the members are terrible. In any group that puts it's strident ideology above common sense, bad people will thrive. I'm still talking about Scientology. Mostly.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've got it taped but haven't watched it yet due to March Madness and a fantasy baseball draft. Looking forward to watching it tonight though.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ha! I thought of that right after I posted.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In watching some of the show over again, I was struck by just how downright comical these people are. It's almost as of the Marx Brothers decided to do a parody of a cult, with the salutes, the cheesy uniforms, the pyro-technics and the devices used for their interviews that look like a sixth-grader's sloppy-ass effort at a science fair project. I remember an interview where someone as Mel Brooks why had had Nazi references in so many of his movies. The answer was simple: he wanted to ridicule them and have people guffaw. He said that's what you do, make people laugh at them.
    I know I did, especially every time Tom Cruise tried to defend them.

Ace and Donny in his element like this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have it set to record tomorrow morning at noon EDT. Looking forward to watching it.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It' well done. Really, really scary stuff how they draw people in and basically brainwash and blackmail them. Winning the tax exemption fight is downright criminal. Great job getting so many high rankers to talk now that they've quit.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Everything seemed credible and based on eyewitnesses except for the bit on the Cruise girlfriend stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, but it seemed like a stretch with lack of evidence presented.

Draft saved Draft deleted