1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jun 25, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We could always just pick a time and brew all at the same time and post here or else do like a google hangout.

2. spikechiquet

A cool new "toy", a 32 oz. "Crowler" machine. They pour to-go beers into cans and seal them and mark them up, ready to go. Half the size of a growler, makes great sense.

3. spikechiquet

A guy in my homebrew club has a friend that sold off all his home brewing stuff for $100. I picked all of it up and he had a few canisters of Mr. Beer stuff that was close to expiring...so, for the first time ever...I brewed with Mr. Beer! LOL
    I tripled up a batch to make 5 gallons, mixing two cans of Czech Pils with three 8 oz packets of Golden Ale, and put it on a yeast cake of Wyeast English Ale I used to make an Olde Ale a week or so ago. I'm going to call it "A Trip Around Europe" if it doesn't taste like ass.
    Oh, and it took all of 48 minutes to make! Hahaha.
    Now I see why Budweiser is brewed "the hard way."

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Throwing this one out there, curious what the responses will be. What is:

1. The best beer you've ever had. Your "last day on earth" brew. Yeah, I know....it's nearly impossible to pick. And it's purely subjective. That's the point.

2. What's your "go to." The one you're most likely to keep stocked year 'round. Make it something that's actually available to you, on a regular basis. No one from California, should be selecting a 3 Floyds product.

For me?

1. Ballast Point Sculpin. IMO, damned near perfect.

2. Half Acre Daisy Cutter. Prefer some others (ex: Zombie Dust), but the higher ABV's make it rough on an old guy.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

1. Pliny the Elder

2. Hardywood's Great Return IPA

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

1. (TIE) Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2001 and 3 Fonteinen Armand & Tomme

2. Whatever I bought most recently??? I dig my variety, whatever's fresh and tasty. Generally something hoppy or tart/funky. Wish I was in downtown Toronto more often, I'd live at Bellwoods Brewery based on the few bottles I picked up a couple weeks ago. Really liked their Monotony Single Hop Pale Ale (was Citra when I was there - fabulous aroma but like most single-hop Citra beers, the taste never lives up to the wonderful aroma).

7. spikechiquet

1. Dragonsmeade's Final Absolution
    2. 3 Floyds Robert the Bruce

I'm not a big hoppy guy...I mean, I drink 60 and 90 from DFH and can appreciate Hopslam...but it's not my go-to anymore...I'm a BIG malt guy.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Word on the street up here says Chill Wave is much better than Hopslam (one of my all-time faves, but still think the hop changes over the past several years have brought its level from fabulous to just damn good).

And that's coming from some big-time MI beer homers.

Oh, and I drive by DragonMead just about every day on the way to the office. Mrs. Fly and I had our engagement party there back in the day when they were just a tiny little spot, not that they're massive at this point but they have expanded a couple times since then.

spikechiquet likes this.
  9. spikechiquet

Final Absolution was my first introduction to craft beer outside of "Blue Moon" back in about 2005 at the Frankenmuth World Expo of Beer.
    I was THRILLED it was on tap at The Joe for the Garth Brooks show...got me through all the YeeHaws (and Yahoos?) in the stands.

Fly likes this.
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Heady Topper
    Ayinger Oktoberfest

Fly likes this.
  11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

While Heady Topper was pretty transcendental when I first tried it several years back (pre-flood) and I still enjoy it when I get the chance, having it side-by-side with The Alchemist's other IPA Focal Banger I'd choose FB 1000x out of 1000 over HT. One man's opinion, of course, and both are damn tasty.

12. 1. dogfish 120. It was glorious.

2. I currently live in Cleveland so it would be Hoppin Frog Boris. It's very smooth.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted