1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Regardless of how crazy it is that Jericho has written three books, his WWF debut is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen in pro wrasslin.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

True that. I'll always enjoy that pop that erupted right at the moment "Jericho" showed up on the Titantron.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Cena didn't put Lesnar over? Punk? OK.

jpetrie18 and Gutter like this.
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

CJ Parker apparently asked for and was granted his release today. Dammit. I was looking forward to him getting called up soon.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In his second book, Jericho said that, while it was an awesome moment, he wasn't that happy with how he had done, and had gotten some heat for it. Especially because of the part where he looked like he would cry because the Rock was insulting him.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To defend Mr. Creosote here for a moment - In isolation, most of the booking decisions for Cena (or for that matter, Reigns and Triple H, two other guys accused of putting themselves over all the time) make sense. However, when you take an overall look at the past few years, it's just the same old shit, as the Raw crowd was chanting (although not in the Cena match).

One thing that hurts Cena's booking to me - He's a company man. It was mentioned on a Chris Hero interview on Cheap Heat, how he wanted to go heel a few years ago and even had gear made, but the office ultimately wouldn't let him do it. He's not Stone Cold or Punk, who would tell them to go screw and be willing to sit out dates. And he's not Hulk Hogan, who had enough of an ego and self-interest to be talked into the NWO. As a result, it wouldn't surprise me if we did get Super Cena until the end of days.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

That reminds me, I couldn't help but notice that the crowd for The Raw After (it's what I'm calling it) appreciated everything but the main event, a 6-man tag for fuck's sake. "Same Old Shit"? Yeah. Considering it was two years ago that the crowd rebelled during an Orton/Kane/insert any veteran here tag that got a damn Michael Cole chant, you'd think Creative would have found a way to avoid a repeat. Nope. Another Kane/Orton/Big Show match. But, we got an awesome wave. And you gotta love how Rollins rolled with it when the "We run Raw" chant started. Credit the guy for playing along and making the best of the situation and staying true to character. Lesser talents would have ignored it and continued wrestling in a vacuum. It's something Cena is great at (and it's when I'm least bored of him).

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The crowd was OK in my book until it started acting like idiots during the divas match with demeaning chants like "You suck Cena!" (To Nikki Bella) and "You suck Tyson!" (To Nattie)
    And then to start chanting "We are awesome!" in the main event? Sorry but you're not.
    There's a fine line between entertaining and annoying with these types of crowds and that post Mania crowd went past that line far too often.
    Your job is to enhance the show, not detract from it. Grow up.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not going to die on the hill for this, but Punk and Lesnar were already main eventers. Kurt Angle, Big Show and the Rock made Lesnar. I guess you could argue Cena made Punk, but I'd argue Jericho and Jeff Hardy, and even Paul Heyman, did more to that end than Cena ever did.

Which "stars" has Cena made? He sure didn't make Bray Wyatt. Or Rusev. Or Sandow.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sandow is a star. That still amazes me.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There was a time when Sandow was a Money in the Bank winner.

He cashed it in against Cena, who won the match while selling an injury and basically doing it with one arm.

I'm shocked that didn't help Sandow's career.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

An argument could be made that they tried to use Cena to make RVD but the ECW thing flopped.

Cena probably made Edge, as a legit main event Hall of Fame level guy anyway.

Cena's helped make Rollins in a big way and he definitely helped make Bray. He also put Daniel Bryan over clean at Summerslam '13 now that I think of it.

That match Monday was great and if booked properly going forward absolutely elevated Ambrose. The smark crowd not crapping all over it like they did the 6man is evidence of that. If you didn't like it that's cool but the idea that Cena hasn't put over anybody in 10 years is either exaggerated or false.

Draft saved Draft deleted