1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#everythingnewsucks

JackReacher likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why do they do this on April 1? Whatever. If we got content on yogurt cups then it the site would be optimized for yogurt cups. But there's no good way to organize that much stuff. I will say that if you're running Firefox Adblock Edge, NoScript and Ghostery to block ads, trackers and other third party nonsense, you lose quite a bit of functionality on a laptop without making exceptions. And yes, SI.com has been a disaster for years.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The redesign was live yesterday, too.

Dyno likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A lot of white space. Plus you have to scroll down now to get to Grantland and 538. Simmons can't be happy that his head has been shrunk.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh fuck, just tried it on my laptop. My eyes went left, then jumped to the right, then the center, then up, then back to center. I didn't know where to look, but my eyes kept darting around. I bailed out because I thought I was going to have a fucking seizure.

Doc Holliday and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I figured that was the reason for the changes, but here I am, on a tablet, and I can't get half the links on the NBA page to load.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I was under the impression ESPN.com and ESPN.com mobile were different beasts. I remember the Jeremy Lin incident when an poor choice of words was used in a hedline seen only on the mobile site. Unless I am remembering it wrong

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Looking over it real quick, I'm not a fan. Maybe part of it is because I'm used to the old one but the hedlines are just randomly floating. Maybe if the photos (ads, tweets and a few refers) to the right were smaller...

10. EddieM

EddieM Member

I actually think this version of ESPN.com is more easily navigated. And personally, I enjoy the right panel that includes bigger blurbs for video and stories (which draws me in more than their previous teases did) and the social media stuff.

It's interesting to me that it seems in some ways to violate old school thinking (white space) and new school thinking (lots of words, not just images). But I need a couple of days before I decide if it's the best way to organize their crapload of content.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That's what you get for reading about the NBA. My comment was just about looks. Haven't used it enough to judge its practicality.

Dyno likes this.
  12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I like Amazon.com's redesign better.

Draft saved Draft deleted