1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieM

EddieM Member

I've always thought that if we have anti-discrimination practices/laws in place, businesses that choose to violate those practices and laws should forfeit all tax breaks and state-sanctioned assistance provided to businesses. And honestly, I feel similarly about churches and non-profits. Assuming the law was written carefully, I would favor offering no benefits/tax breaks to an institution found to discriminate against protected groups.

Of course...the Indiana problem would still exist because LGBTQ* people are not a protected group under the law.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Arkansas governor sends religious freedom bill back to legislators - CNN.com

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If a newspaper columnist's conscience tells him he must honor the boycott of Indiana, in response to this ant-gay law, and informs his sports editor that he refuses to travel to Indianapolis to cover the Final Four, should their be any punishment, or should his employer honor his wishes?

5. cranberry

It could be cool hook for columnist. He could write from the TV and explain why he's writing from the TV. Could make for a nice series of columns IMHO.

I'd love to see outlets all over the country boycott the Final Four. Let the Indianapolis AP bureau cover it for everyone.

6. YankeeFan

OK, sure.

But, the newspaper could also decide to fire the guy, and he should have no legal protection against being fired over his stand, right? (Leaving collectively bargained union rights aside for the moment.)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, there should be punishment.

He should be made to cover the next local MLS team's game.

8. cranberry

Well, sure, that's why you need collectively bargained Union contract.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Reporters and columnists have been known to refuse assignments on a regular basis and it normally doesn't rise to a firing offense.

I've personally refused Sunday assignments for religious reasons and still employed, at last check.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

Sure, but if Mark2010 refused an assignment to cover a gay marriage of two prominent people, we'd condemn him, right?

We'd say he is a bigot, and should be fired for refusing such an assignment, right?

Is it the event and the circumstances that makes the difference, or should a person be allowed to refuse an assignment based on his own personal conscience/religion?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Definitely should be punishment, up to firing. As someone said earlier in this thread, there has to be a price for following your convictions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.