1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

RIP

[​IMG]

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'll concede he helped get Edge over. But that's it. I could also argue pretty convincingly that Edge in fact got Cena over and not vice versa.

It's probably not all Cena's fault, mind you. He's not putting himself over in the same way that, say, Triple H does. But almost every feud the guy has ever had ultimately ends with his Superman shtick one way or another, and it's tiresome. It's exactly like the '80s when no one went over Hogan. Warrior and Goldberg are the only guys Hogan ever really put over.

I have no faith that Ambrose would be better off after a long feud with Cena. "...if booked properly" is a huge disclaimer. I'll be glad to have been proven wrong.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So is Lesnar going to seriously be off Raw for a while? I heard his new contract came with an extended schedule; not the same limited one as before.

4. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

Parker's Mother Earth gimmick was really fun once he got more comfortable with it and once he and the creative team realized his hippie babyface gimmick was shit and the crowd turned on him. The only problem was that he was not improving in the ring at all. He was piss poor in the ring. Became a better character performer, remained shit everywhere else.

5. MisterCreosote

I'd be surprised if he's back before Summerslam.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Exactly. They're going to save his appearances for the big four PPVs and the Raws leading up to them, especially when they are going up against football.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And "extended schedule" doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be wrestling more. It just means he'll -- hopefully -- be on TV more than he was during his last contract.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah. He was basically only on the big four PPVs and their "go home" Raws with his last contract. It wouldn't surprise me if this one just ups his PPV dates to six or eight or 10.

9. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

I was talking to a friend of mine, and he told me that Lesnar has been booked to look stronger than anybody in the history of the WWE. Would you guys say that 2014/15 Brock Lesnar has been booked to look stronger than anybody in WWE history?

Personally, I disagreed with him. Ultimately, it's just one year. One truly dominant year, but still, one year with six matches. Can that really compare to Bruno's first title reign, Hogan's four year reign, Andre the Giant booking for years or even Taker's 1990-1995 where he rarely ever lost? Now, has Brock had the single most dominant individual year in WWE history? That's a far greater possibility. To try and say he's been booked stronger than anyone in history based on one year when others had the company protecting them for years or even more than a decade is too far fetched of a belief.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

To me, giving it only a devilish amount of thought, I'd say that Andre is the only one who was booked to look stronger than Lesnar. Goldberg in WCW comes close, probably.

Lesnar is the most fascinating character WWE has had since the height of the Attitude Era, IMO. He's the main reason I've started watching a little more recently.

11. MisterCreosote

That wasn't even the most dominant year of Lesnar's career.

His rookie year:

Debuted.
    Destroyed Jeff Hardy.
    Destroyed Matt Hardy.
    Won the King of the Ring over RVD.
    Destroyed Hulk Hogan.
    Beat The Rock for the WWE title.
    Beat the Undertaker in Hell in the Cell.
    Beat Edge.
    Beat Big Show a few times.
    Lost title to Big Show after Paul Heyman betrayed him.
    Cost Big Show the title to Kurt Angle.
    Beat Big Show again.
    Won the Royal Rumble.
    Beat Kurt Angle in the main event of Wrestlemania for the WWE title.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

I don't know though. His rookie year did have more accomplishments, but his 2014-2015 has had the bigger accomplishments. In a matter of only a few months, Lesnar ended the Streak and then basically squashed John Cena (!!!) on PPV. The idea of either one of those happenings weren't too believable, let alone by the same guy and happening in just a matter of a few months.

It's a toss up.

Draft saved Draft deleted