1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Didn't see that one coming.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nobody was arrested, and they explained why they didn't name the other school involved, which also explains why they didn't use the pics. They didn't want to ID the other school because the other school was unavailable for comment.

I'll admit that the reporting could be better, and it's more of a column than a straight news report. But why would someone want to make an April Fool's joke out of something so serious, unless they were crying out for attention for some reason?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I disagree vehemently with everything o_t has written on this thread up to now, but his skepticism on this story is exceedingly well-placed.

cranberry and old_tony like this.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thank you.

5. old_tony

Like I said, it happened in the week leading up to Christmas. They had three-plus months to get a quote from the other school and did nothing. They also got absolutely nothing from any kind of administrator or official for the school they did name.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the same thought, but an April Fools' joke is pretty out of character for Outsports.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am skeptical as well. But it's fun to have a possibly fictional gay basketball player playing for Betsy Lane.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Maybe they just got the story a few days ago?

I have a feeling more reporting will come out from this, from one way or another. It does seem to be a rush job, but I'd doubt that the site is doing it as some really bad joke. Unless the kid, his friend, and his assistant decided to play a really bad joke.

9. old_tony

Now we're on the same page. There's absolutely no need to rush this story up if they just got it. There's especially no reason to rush it onto their website on April Fool's Day. It happened three-plus months ago. What's another two days or another week?

10. Baron Scicluna

It's the Internet. They don't want to be scooped. Plus, with all that's been going on for the past two weeks, it's a timely story.

11. old_tony

Nothing needs to be rushed so badly that when you post it it has no credibility.

12. old_tony

Truths for which the mainstream media and the left have no time.

The Fact-Free Meltdown Over Indiana's New Religious Freedom Law - Guy Benson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.