1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next Comedy Central Roast will be... James Franco...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 13, 2013.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I've just always thought that the people who were the best in these things were the people who were, you know, in the business of comedy. The random celebrities always felt so forced and are usually the most painful part.

Although I will say, Marcia Brady did a great job of roasting Larry the Cable Guy.

I miss Greg Giraldo.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Giraldo was amazing. There is a clip out there on YouTube of him at all of the roasts. Really funny stuff.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The operative word being 'huge.'

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's an oldie, but the night Foster Brooks destroyed Don Rickles is an all-timer.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I wanted to hate on her, but I thought Martha Stewart absolutely killed.

6. RecoveringJournalist

When they get someone like Stewart, they set them up to succeed. I think it was whatever roast Betty White destroyed at, she had Jeselnik and Schumer writing for her and the stuff was so good that both of them were allowed to do future roasts, which basically turned both of them into huge touring acts with their own Comedy Central shows. I think Lampanelli had written for someone specific as well on one of the earlier roasts and it led to her getting her shot.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sure they do. I figured there was no way she came up with the "African-American rich" joke herself but still, her delivery was great.

Didn't know the history of Amy Schumer/Lisa Lampanelli. That's interesting.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, it's pretty smart on Comedy Central's part, you basically use your writers as your minor leagues and then call them up when they're ready.

I think Sarah Tiana is the next one they're grooming. She wrote for this one and hosted the pre-show.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

So jokes about Paul Walker, who drove himself into a tree, were edited out, but they left in jokes about Pete Davidson's dad, a firefighter killed on 9/11?

Granted, Davidson told one of those jokes. I felt bad when I laughed when Ross said "“The only person that’s inhaled more smoke than Snoop is Pete Davidson’s dad inside the World Trade Center."

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Considering Davidson's stand-up act includes a lot of material about growing up and his dad's death, it's clear he has no problem making a joke about it. He's said comedy is how he coped with it.

Paul Walker is a bit more recent, emotions a bit more raw. Plus, I don't know that the deaths are comparable. One died a hero. The other died in a car accident at speeds close to 100 miles per hour. In other words, one was a victim of circumstances. The other was essentially self-inflicted (Walker wasn't driving or it'd be totally self-inflicted).

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Davidson's standup, and don't have a problem with the jokes, I'm just wondering what makes Paul Walker so sacred that they CC wouldn't bust on him?

I read one on Lagasso's jokes was along the lines of "something Martha Stewart has in common with the 'Fast & Furious' movies is that they both need a new walker."

That's funny.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ludacris was one of the roasters. I figure that had a lot to do with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted