1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm glad I checked my updated topics to see the new discussion on this. The ability to make a Vine post based on video you've already shot is a welcome addition. That wasn't an available option last year when I was using it. I just downloaded the app to my new phone and plan to try it out again this basketball season.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Well, nevermind. The Vine app for Windows Phone hasn't been updated since Dec. 2013. The ability to upload prerecorded videos was added for Andriod and ios last August. So, it's still no good to me.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've just started with Vine.
    I check out a lot of the videos and while they don't make sense to me, I'm curious as to how people get music over vines and run different effects - slo-mo and the such.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

First off, Rhody, I hope your tagline is a reference to Friends. If that's the case, I applaud you.

About the music/slo-mo stuff, I think people do that in other programs like iMovie, Final Cut, etc. So in other words, people who have too much time on their hands, a problem writers don't have.

I think it's been mentioned here, but Vine moves a ridiculous amount of traffic, even if it's menial stuff. People eat it up and share it. And with some practice, a lot of cool things can be done with it.

5. Rhody31

My tagline had a pic of me and my daughter taking a nap ... don't know what happened to it.
    What are ideal numbers for "loops?" I'm enjoying using it so far and have an idea of what I'm going to do for my entertainment site once i get back going in January.

6. MeanGreenATO

I don't think you need to be terribly concerned with the number of loops a post gets. The biggest thing about Vine is that it allows you to share video on Twitter without making people leave the site. The number of loops for a post is typically linked to how much it gets shared on Twitter, because the chances of it getting shared by Vine's app users are very slim.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Have you seen the Vines Lowe's does? Vine

I would use Vine, in a journalism sense, for the same kinds of things you might use an infographic for.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

An update to my previous gripe for any on here that may care (or anyone that comes across this topic on the interwebs with a search of Vine app for Windows)--

Vine updated the app for Windows Phone earlier this month. I just today added the app to my Kindle Fire HDX (which I bought at Christmas time). I was thinking I could use it on my Fire come football season if it had the ability to edit from previously recorded videos. It does.

In doing that, it made me remember this topic. I checked my Windows Phone to see if Vine updated its Windows app. And behold, it did update the app earlier this month, and my phone had automatically updated for me. The updated app on Windows now allows you to upload and edit from previously recorded videos (like it has in the past for Andriod and iOS.) I plan on testing this out on Saturday at my next prep softball game.

9. Vine is perfect for sharing highlights. The videos play without having to leave Twitter, it's simple, and the athletes seem to love sharing them.

It works best with fast sports. Football, basketball, volleyball. I tried with softball earlier this season, shot video for 10 minutes and nothing that would make for a good highlight happened. Obviously, emphatic volleyball kills happen more often than home runs.

10. Rhody31

I've been using it on my site in the dumbest way possible and surprisingly, people actually like it.
    I think the key is either be super serious with edits or just be on the opposite end of the spectrum.
    The vines I've made work well embedded into stories (breaks up the gray) and being able to tweet them out with @ tags have made them more visible than I could have imagined.
    I think Vine is slowly losing its appeal, which means most newspapers are going to start gravitating toward it. I've already seen a couple newspapers, editors and reporters around these parts start to get into it but few understand how to make a 7-second clip somewhat entertaining.
    Have fun with the medium, but don't go to crazy - because SnapChat is what we all need to learn now.

11. MeanGreenATO

Rhody, I don't know about buying into Snapchat. I'm approaching my mid-20's, and my friends and I probably use that the most. The event stories at games is awesome, especially during college football season.

But here's the deal. Unlike Twitter/Facebook, there's no way to take people to your shop's website. You can't embed Snapchat stories either, so more energy is being spent on increasing reader engagement/brand at the cost of driving revenue. The trade-off is not worth it, IMO.

12. Rhody31

How much energy can snapchat actually take? Any of these social media trends - where we're all trying to be the leader of the second screen - aren't hard to do once you figure them out.
    When I started with Vine it was a pain because I didn't get it; then after a week or two of doing it, it's second nature.
    If I had a 100 percent grasp of SnapChat, I could probably speak more to it, but it seems like that's the social media thing that everyone is trying to get a handle on.

Draft saved Draft deleted