1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might be about to be let go. What now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1GreytWriter, Dec 11, 2014.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If you internalize this philosophy, you'll be doing all right. It's a hard lesson to learn for those of us who have spent time in a job that feeds the ego in some way — as sportswriting does — but you are not what you do.

With very few exceptions, everyone I know who has left the business — willingly or not — has ended up in a better place in life.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know you need to get out of this job. If they won't consider returning you to your former job, they probably want to get rid of you and are being careful to satisfy HR requirements in case you try to sue them someday. My suggestion is get out. You are under constant scrutiny it appears. Do they have regular performance reviews with all staff like they do you?

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

No doubt...
    My career path: journalist then schoolteacher. Everything I have done and will do in an office setting is cake by comparison.

Plus, I get @YankeeFan off my ass.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow! You can "tag" other members in your posts?

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The Announcements forum is a helluva drug.

6. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

I am out of there now, but yes, under normal circumstances, everyone would get a performance review/progress report every 3-4 weeks.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That's pretty severe micromanagement for as little as newspapers pay. It's a good thing newspapers are dying because the entitled generation won't put up with that crap. They'll just walk out and quit.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, too. Jackasses are spending more time judging each other's work than they are trying to put out a good newspaper.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, they have to do something to look busy and justify their job. Right, @YankeeFan?

Draft saved Draft deleted