1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Tampa Tribune cutbacks?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Nov 3, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was frickin' awesome. Now, you can't find any semblance of the Rocky, even online. Went to read the Pulitzer Prize winning package that ran nine years ago today. Sadly ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My back of the envelope guesses may well be wrong. I am going to be very interested in the sales price.

A question. I read that DFM appears are very centralized and the individual clusters would be hard to sell separately. As it pertains to the Colorado papers is that true? Could the Colorado papers be easily hived off from the rest of the chain and sold to Anschultz- who bought Colroado Springs- or another local buyer?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't know where you read that, but all of DFM will not be sold in one swoop. It will be picked apart for the individual clusters. So getting the Post and the Boulder-area dailies could be available. Could it go to Anschutz? Him owning the Gazette I would think would be a problem antitrust-wise, with him owning basically every paper from Loveland south to the Springs.

But selling off individual papers/clusters (say, all of LANG to one person/group, all of BANG to one person/group)? That's much more plausible.

4. thesportsscribe

thesportsscribe New Member

The Trib has also stopped sending its USF beat writer to football road games as well. For the past few games, they've been using stringers in his place, much like both papers do for basketball coverage.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Is the Times not doing the same on USF? I believe that is the case but haven't noticed.

6. thesportsscribe

thesportsscribe New Member

No, Joey Knight still covers road football games for the Times.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I doubt that will be the case moving forward. Nevertheless, of course the beat writer should be with the team, but it's more understandable than if the local school had the stature of UF or FSU, both of which have larger followings in the Bay area than USF. USF has been horrible and hasn't built much of a following other than their meteoric rise a few years back.

8. LanceyHoward

This si the article by Ken Doctor I am referring to:

http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/11/ken-doctor-the-envelopes-open-on-the-sale-of-digital-first-media-newspapers/

I can not vouch for the creditbility.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Tampa Bay Business Journal reports the Tampa Tribune's headquarters property is under contract for sale to a developer.

Tampa Tribune site in downtown Tampa under contract for redevelopment play, sources say - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Tribune reports that it will be a lease-back arrangement.

Tribune fields offers for downtown property | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

For perspective, this isn't really different than what the rival Tampa Bay Times wants to do with its headquarters in St. Petersburg. But it's not a happy day, to be sure.

10. LanceyHoward

The Tampa Tribune articles says that there will be a sale and leaseback. The Tampa Bay Business Journal says the property is under contract for redevelopment. Can both statements be true?

Where does the Tribune print? The editorial and business staff can easily move and I would guess that the reductions in staff mean the current building is too large but moving the presses are a lot harder.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the first question, but the paper is printed in the building.

12. LanceyHoward

So there are two scenarios. One is what the owners are doing is nothing more than a financing maneuver to acquire some cash. Operations will continue as normal. The second is that the owners are using the buoyant Tampa real estate business to sell out to a developer at more than twice their purchase price and bail out of the not so buoyant newspaper business.

My guess is the latter. If the owners wanted to stay in the newspaper business I would think they would be looking for cheaper real estate and someone to print the paper for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted