1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It is not.

(I accidentally opened this thread but saw this and figured since I lived there for two years I should throw cold water on your fantasy. Sorry. There are a lot of guys playing drums, though. The women's dress is called a kaftan and doesn't look anything like a ball gown. I never saw a suit or tie in my 27 months there, though. :p )

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's what Wenders said, and you're both right (based only on what I saw from when TAR went to Morocco last season, of course :)). I mixed up my countries. The episode this week featured Monaco -- where I think what I posted might make more sense -- but I wrote Morocco. :(

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Feel bad for Aly and Steve. But it kind of felt like in the second leg, they had no hurry to do anything.

but dear god! AFRICA! It's beautiful! And they got to build huts with Namibian tribesmen and search for elephants in the African bush! HOW FREAKIN' COOL IS THAT.

Pool update:
    Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny 65
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura 56
    *TigerVols - Aly and Steve 54
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley 51
    Iron_chet - Matt and Ashley 45
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike 42
    *WriteThinking - Bergen and Kurt 35
    *Huggy - Jackie and Jeff 29
    *MTM - Harley and Jonathan 16
    *Wenders - CJ and Libby 3
    *Jeff and Lyda 1

4. WriteThinking

I had the same reactions to this episode as you, Wenders.

I was thinking while watching that I would have had a very hard time "racing" through this leg. I was, and would have been, mesmerized by the wildlife in its natural habitat. I wouldn't have wanted to hurry, or leave any time soon. I could've easily been distracted into just staying on and continuing to track animals and watch them. I might not have even cared about the race anymore.

One thing I couldn't understand was how Mike and Rochelle got to do the "Pack" task after other previously arrived teams had been told that only "Track" was available.

It's funny how Blair and Hayley are suddenly doing pretty well, and amazing how cars and how to drive/fix them continue to be the main impacting factors in TAR. In this episode alone, Mike couldn't get his SUV started, Steve wrecked and had to change a tire/rim and Jelani and Jenny picked up a nail and also needed a tire change.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Love some of the challenges they come up up with on this show, especially using elephants! I could not tell you who won some of the seasons but I still vividly remember the blond sisters uninhibited joy when they got to wash the elephant on on of the detours.

6. WriteThinking

I think I probably would have felt transported to another time, or maybe even to another planet, practically, upon experiencing that Nambian tribe first-hand. Amazing.

And, did anyone else think that Jenny seemed pretty poker-/grim-faced in this episode -- much more bitchy than is usual for her, U-turn notwithstanding?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. Wenders

My thought -- they could only do three teams at a time, maybe because of limitations on the area to butcher the carcass or Jeeps to take them to the area with the wild dogs. And since they were so far behind, the other teams had finished, freeing up that area for Mike and Rochelle.

8. Wenders

Between this week's episode and The Fault in Our Stars, I'd really love to visit Amsterdam. It looks beautiful. And I want to take a ride in one of those boat hot tubs.

I find myself really rooting for Tyler and Laura, as well as Rochelle and Mike every week. It seems they really work well together and are pleasant people. But next season, let's go back to the real TAR and leave this awkward chit-chat about finding ~love on the race~ behind.

Pool update:
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura 71
    Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny 68
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley 55
    Iron_chet - Matt and Ashley 46
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike 44
    *Jeff and Lyda 1

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

From Monte Carlo to Namibia to Amsterdam down to Peru. They're definitely getting their frequent flyer miles in.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Phil is trying waaaaay too hard to make a love connection. Face it, the experiment didn't work, but it's been a good race with evenly-matched teams and other than Hayley's constant whining, there isn't anyone who is unlikable.

Would love to see Rochelle and Mike make it two seasons in a row with unexpected winners, following the Candy Girls

11. WriteThinking

Yeah, I wanted to throttle Hayley so badly this week.

Just. Shut. Up, girl! I don't know how Blair is putting up with her sometimes.

I also felt a little bit sorry for Matt this week, with all the trouble he had finding the matching clogs. :(

12. Wenders

"I'm not a person who yells....ever..." RIGHT HAYLEY. Because approximately 95% of your time on this race has been screaming at Blair. If I was Blair, by now I would have just been like "Okay, I'm out, you do this all on your own."

Major props though to Hayley and Jenny for stepping up on that sugar cane challenge. Peru looks gorgeous.

Pool update:
    bumpy mcgee - Tyler and Laura 73
    Jay Ferrar - Jelani and Jenny 72
    WolvEagle - Blair and Hayley 70
    Iron_chet - Matt and Ashley 47
    Amy - Rochelle and Mike 47
    *Jeff and Lyda 1