1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pulitzer Prizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Apr 20, 2015.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I noticed this Charleston Post and Courier series a few months ago, and it's flat-out stellar journalism, and also the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service Reporting. Richly deserved on all counts. The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment

All the winners:

PUBLIC SERVICE - The Post and Courier, Charleston, SC

BREAKING NEWS REPORTING - The Seattle Times Staff

INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING - Two Prizes: - Eric Lipton of The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal Staff

EXPLANATORY REPORTING - Zachary R. Mider of Bloomberg News

LOCAL REPORTING - Rob Kuznia, Rebecca Kimitch and Frank Suraci of the Daily Breeze, Torrance, CA

NATIONAL REPORTING - Carol D. Leonnig of The Washington Post

INTERNATIONAL REPORTING - The New York Times Staff

FEATURE WRITING - Diana Marcum of the Los Angeles Times

COMMENTARY - Lisa Falkenberg of the Houston Chronicle

CRITICISM - Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times

EDITORIAL WRITING - Kathleen Kingsbury of The Boston Globe

EDITORIAL CARTOONING - Adam Zyglis of The Buffalo News

BREAKING NEWS PHOTOGRAPHY - St. Louis Post-Disptach Photography Staff

FEATURE PHOTOGRAPHY - Daniel Berehulak , freelance photographer, The New York Times

More: The Pulitzer Prizes | 2015 Pulitzer Winners

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nice to see some smaller papers and some of the really good regional metros recognized.

I took at look at some of what Torrance did and it was epic in terms of depth and scope.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all the winners who will now stay in journalism way longer than they should have. Kidding, I'm sure these people did great work that was not read by anyone under 55 years of age.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Post and Courier is gonna be on a two-year streak.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Good to see a winner from the Houston Chronicle (several friends work there). If I'm not mistaken, that was the largest paper that hadn't won one. The Sun Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale also was near the top of that list until it broke through a few years ago.

Also, I think that's the first Pulitzer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch since the '70s. It was considered one of the two or three best papers in the Midwest during my youth in the '60s and early '70s.

Liut likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Peabodys were announced today as well. As for the Shafer thing, yeah, he's right - I guess awards are the one thing the print news industry hasn't cut back on.
    But I could tell you right now that next year, the NYT and the WP will split about eight awards, a couple of smaller regional papers will pick up awards for coverage of disasters/tragedies, and another regional paper will win one for an investigation into a local government/social agency.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read all this great stuff. Seriously, I'm looking forward to spending time on these links.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. Congratulations to all. Should make for a good nights reading sometime.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How much was Rob Kunzia making with the Daily Breeze? How much is he making at USC? How likely is it the Los Angeles Times will hire him? How about The New York Times? How about another elite organization?

Draft saved Draft deleted